Which youth club did you go to?

hyde away on the flats,hyde park

my mother inlaw used to work there .

---------- Post added 23-02-2014 at 07:40 ----------

i went in the wybourn youthclub when colin run it and then later to one on garden street.

fitzubert My wife wonders if this was the old Deep Pits yc on city road now the petrol station she remembers Roome family and mr ironside and family who was the minister is eldest son poss Ralph ? married Pat Roome wifes maiden name June Harmston livid on Dagnham Road

fitzubert My wife wonders if this was the old Deep Pits yc on city road now the petrol station she remembers Roome family and mr ironside and family who was the minister is eldest son poss Ralph ? married Pat Roome wifes maiden name June Harmston livid on Dagnham Road

Deep Pits joined the newly opened Arbourthorne Methodist church on Edenhall Road in the late 1950s. Harry Ironside was the senior layman who ran Deep Pits. He was what the methodists call a local preacher. His son Ralph married Pat Roome at Arbourthorne Methodist church. Do you remember David Hill, married Joan Clay? The youth group was joined with Prince of Wales Road methodist church youth club as the churches shared a minister and it was very successful.

St Johns at Totley - also Totley Methodist where someone who shall remain unnamed broke my nose after executing The Barnsley Kiss !

I went to Manor Baptist Church youth club on Prince of wales Road - just below Fareleigh. It was every Friday night and I went in 1961/2.

Some people I remember are: Mildred Eastern,Susan Chappell,Wendy Platts,Mavis Wray,Lily Hardy,Margaret Hewitt, Linda Cardwell,June Antcliffe,Christine Elston,Jim Outram,Stuart Hall and in charge was Geoff Farmer and Sister Ruth Wood.I seem to recall we had a decent table tennis team at that time and used to visit other youth clubs in tournaments. hopr this brings back some memories. Happy days.

St Columbus at Crosspool circa 1978. Myers Grove on a Monday circa 1980. Stannington School in top of village circa 1980.

Did anyone go to the joint Arbourthorne Methodist and Prince of Wales Road Methodist churches youth club. Known as the YPFG during the 1950s and early 60s? The minister was Rev George Beck and then Rev Jack Lucas. I remember the Roome family and the Ironside family.

Oh good, I found someone from my era. :hihi: welcome to the forum fitzhubert :wave:

I didn't go to your youth club, but in the late 50s I went to the Ebenezer games night. The Ebenezer chapel was in Ecclesfield, I think it's a daycare centre now.

I had one of those Dansette record player that played several records at the same time. I used to carry it from Milnrow Rd, right down to the bottom of Colley Rd. Then turn left and take it to the chapel, boy was it heavy by the time I got there. That's where I met my hubby, he went there to play on their soccer team. The girls went there for the boys I think. :hihi:

St Johns at Totley - also Totley Methodist where someone who shall remain unnamed broke my nose after executing The Barnsley Kiss !

Went to both these in early 60s. Methodist YC was Thursdays and Sundays. Most people just did Thursday cos Sundays was a bit more ' pastoral'.

' Schoey ' was the leader and was a really nice guy even though he was constantly trying to coerce us into attendance at Sunday Services. Bless him.

Consisted mostly of listening to records on a dansette portable and drinking Hubbly Bubbly which was the formula for most youth clubs I went to.

Occasionally you'd get the odd person coming from the far reaches of Bradway, Millhouses or Dore which was quite a shock to the system.

Think St Johns was on Fridays and can't remember much else about it though I found my membership card intact in the attic a few months ago. No idea why I kept it

I went to woodthorpe youth club and one on the left hand side of prince of wales road just a bit higher than St teresas heading towards the manor top. Happy days:thumbsup:

I used to be the caretaker at WOODTHORPE for going on 20 years , I remember working with Dave Marshall , Jane Wilson , Maureen ? , Kath Bottom who used to run the "tuck shop" , later on Donna Ford and Wendy Maw , good times some really good kids .

St. Pats at Sheffield Lane Top in the late 60's early 70's, had great times!

St. Pats at Sheffield Lane Top in the late 60's early 70's, had great times!

I also attended St Pats , first in the school hall and then later when it moved down to the old "Proddy" church hall . It later became St Pats social club .

I went to St Pats school and then on to St Peters at Parson Cross . Good times around `Lane Top and Shiregreen in those days .