What are your views on the Alcohol Restriction Zone in the city centre?

Is Sheffield City Centre safer as a result of the ARZ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sheffield City Centre safer as a result of the ARZ?

• Yes
    • No

So has anybody actually been fined/arrested/had drink confiscated yet?

The scumbags who sit outside Lloyds pharmacy on London Road drinking Tennents every day obviously haven't. :(

The scumbags who sit outside Lloyds pharmacy on London Road drinking Tennents every day obviously haven't. :(

There isn't an alcohol restriction zone in this area. The zone is within the inner ring road.

I like them - they give London Road some much-needed local character.

How does this work with the areas outside Ha Ha and Cafe Rouge? Is there some kind of area they're allowed to use - ie if you try to drink 2m to the left you'll get in trouble?!

They're allocated areas by licensing.

So what's the point? It's not aimed at street drinkers, but is aimed at people who have been drinking on licensed premises.

It is aimed at stopping anti-social behaviour, caused through drink(?), off of licensed premises.

It doesn't include areas outside of the inner ring road (London Road, for example), which are reknowned for precisely the types of anti-social behaviour and violence which you have described.

If it is aimed at street drinkers, it's doing a p**s poor job, and if not, why not?

Have you been outside the Cannon recently? (rhetorical)

It's aimed at anyone who is walking around the inner ring road with a bottle or a glass containing alcohol in order to prevent possible anti social behaviour, reduce fear and intimidation and to make the area safer (I've been reading up about this, can you tell!)

The city centre local policing team just covers the inner ring road, so that will have been the boundary which has been set.

The Cannon has been shut for refurbishment this week.

It's aimed at anyone who is walking around the inner ring road with a bottle or a glass containing alcohol in order to prevent possible anti social behaviour, reduce fear and intimidation and to make the area safer (I've been reading up about this, can you tell!)

The city centre local policing team just covers the inner ring road, so that will have been the boundary which has been set.

The Cannon has been shut for refurbishment this week.

So in effect it's normal policing.

It also gives the Ambassadors and the PCSOs extra support. The police can order drinks to be tipped away or removed, which they couldnt without the ARZ.

It also gives the Ambassadors and the PCSOs extra support. The police can order drinks to be tipped away or removed, which they couldnt without the ARZ.

Well why aren't they doing it then? I'm sorry, but there has been no, or a hardly discernable difference, and it doesn't even address areas which have a higher concentration of street drinking and/or violence.

Shambolic.

Haven't you noticed before football matches that fans which the police are around, do not have bottles or glasses with them in the streets?

I don't go to matches, but wondered if you'd noticed this?

It doesn't include areas outside of the inner ring road (London Road, for example), which are reknowned for precisely the types of anti-social behaviour and violence which you have described.

Is London road realy known for anti-social behaviour ?

I haven't seen much trouble on there (except on match days)

I would have put West Street at the top of a list of places with drink related problems, every other building is a pub after all.