What are your views on the Alcohol Restriction Zone in the city centre?

Is Sheffield City Centre safer as a result of the ARZ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sheffield City Centre safer as a result of the ARZ?

• Yes
    • No

It's something which cannot be policed, on either front. The street drinkers will hide away to have a sup, then resurface to get some more; the morons will cause hassle, no matter what.

As for 'regular' citizens taking beer out of the building for a drink, if it's too full/smoky/hot, etc., take somewhere like the D&P. It has chairs outside, on the street for people to have a beer. Does this fall foul of the Restriction Zone? If not, why? And it's hardly the only place within which you define, CR.

It's a pub of which I am more than fond (hic), but what if a few people who weren't regulars came down and then, having got a beer, decided to cause hassle?

How would the Banker's Draft proposal to have an outside area sit with this?

Surely the thing is to ensure that the licensing magistrates have got their job done correctly, in allowing liquor licenses to the people who can do the job correctly?

Perhaps a restricted zone at a time when the majority of places serving alcohol have stopped could be workable, but frankly, that would be little different to what we have now; moreover, it's probably the law as it stands.

Have you personally experienced a problem with street drinkers? If so maybe you could offer a solution!!

Have you personally experienced a problem with street drinkers? If so maybe you could offer a solution!!

Whom are you asking? I have never had any hassle, but as an 18/19 stones former rugby player, I tend not to get hassle :) .

In fairness, I think the OP is asking whether there has been anything which has changed in the city centre with regard to drinkers/drunkards/street drinkers.

In my honest opinion, bugger all has changed.

Whom are you asking? I have never had any hassle, but as an 18/19 stones former rugby player, I tend not to get hassle :) .

In fairness, I think the OP is asking whether there has been anything which has changed in the city centre with regard to drinkers/drunkards/street drinkers.

In my honest opinion, bugger all has changed.

I agree that nothing has changed. However, I feel that it is unfair to target street drinkers. Maybe, more should be done to help these unfortunate people. No, I am not a softie! I just think that it is unfair. :)

So has anybody actually been fined/arrested/had drink confiscated yet?

Yes, they have. I once saw the police take some booze off a tramp and pour it down the drain, near Virgin Megastore.

Let's just see how if any more problems arise from the new homeless shelter building being built adjoined to the cathedral.

I can assure most of the female readers that the majority of my staff who work in paradise square, already get abused verbally, and in some cases physically, most of the day when walking past the cathedral.

I shudder to think what it is going to be like once the homeless shelter is up and running there.

I agree that nothing has changed. However, I feel that it is unfair to target street drinkers. Maybe, more should be done to help these unfortunate people. No, I am not a softie! I just think that it is unfair. :)

Hey, I'm a happyhippy! And one who has been known to take the grain, grape, and hop (ahem) occasionally .........

Plenty is done to help homeless/street drinkers. I think, the OP is more concerned with 'legitimate' drinkers outside pubs and clubs, etc.

I don't think the ARZ is there to target street drinkers. I believe the police brought it in to target rowdy people in the street with bottles and glasses at night time and to help control football crowds.

I don't think the ARZ is there to target street drinkers. I believe the police brought it in to target rowdy people in the street with bottles and glasses at night time and to help control football crowds.

And I can guarantee that it has done nothing. As a football fan, a rocker, and a reasonably regular user of city centre premises, absolutely bugger all has changed.

Yeah, the 5-0 took a bottle off me last saturday outside Kingdom.

What he failed to realise is that I had another 2 bottles in my pocket! :D

I just think that it is unfair. :)
can you please explain what is 'unfair' about this? :confused:

Show's how behind the times I am. I always thought any form of street drinking (alcohol) wasn't allowed! (beyond bar areas etc anyway)