What are your views on the Alcohol Restriction Zone in the city centre?

Is Sheffield City Centre safer as a result of the ARZ?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Is Sheffield City Centre safer as a result of the ARZ?

• Yes
    • No

Don't think it makes/has made a differnce if I'm honest.

Me neither, I didn't even know it existed, it certainly doesn't on West Street.

no, no difference. people still drink get drunk act a fool. can get drunk in a bar then wander into the zone:huh:

Its very difficult to police as well I imagine.........so many narrow streets and places to sit and sup the old cans of Stella......I wonder if it has actually made any difference at all except, for example, stop the Dove and Rainbow letting customers drink outside in Hartshead Square on nice warm evenings, something that has been going on since, oh, the 1960's onwards for sure......

I see the Bankers Draft has applied for an outdoor drinking zone area at the front of their premises adjacent to the tram stop at the bottom of High Street...we got a notice about their application today in the post......wonder if it will be granted or not as they do attract a significant number of shall we say, regular seasoned drinkers?

Just because people can't afford to sit in pubs doesn't mean that they should be deprived of the pleasures of drinking in town, even if it does involve getting their Special Brew from Sainsburys and sitting in the Peace Gardens :hihi:

I haven't noticed as I'm normally drunk when I'm in town.

wasn't aware there was one. plenty of peeps drink outside the cannon regularly. ideally someone from the police could tell us if its actually made a difference

I've chatted with city centre ambassadors about this, and the actual zone is a very limited patch, centred around the town hall, Peace Gardens, Tudor Square and immediate shopping streets. That's why so many drinkers are still to be found at the bottom of the Moor, up West Street, by the markets - because they've been displaced from the very centre.

So has anybody actually been fined/arrested/had drink confiscated yet?

In December last year an alcohol restriction zone was introduced into the city centre to stop people drinking in the street. Many cities around the country have this zone in place to assist police with crowd control, reduce problems when pubs and clubs turn out, assist with football fans in the city and to reduce anti social behaviour...

Do you have any tales to tell since the zone was introduced? Is the city centre safer now as a result of this zone?

I didn't even know there was one to be honest!

I've chatted with city centre ambassadors about this, and the actual zone is a very limited patch, centred around the town hall, Peace Gardens, Tudor Square and immediate shopping streets. That's why so many drinkers are still to be found at the bottom of the Moor, up West Street, by the markets - because they've been displaced from the very centre.

Not quite true. It covers the whole area within the inner ring road.

Not quite true. It covers the whole area within the inner ring road.

I still don't know what I'm going to do about my carpets.

I don't see a ban making much of a difference. British society seems based around going out on Saturday night to binge drink. Being publicly drunk is somehow thought cool and funny. Try staggering around an American city drunk and abusive, with or without a bottle in your hand, and see how far you get. It's just not tolerated like it is in the UK. I think attitudes need to change before a law can make much difference.