Hi,

For anyone that does'nt know, a comediands life is very easy, he/she turns up with their clothes, borrows a mic, does their act and goes home, no P.A to set up, no sound check and they are always the first act to leave a venue. If you want fame at an easy price be a comedian.

Sue B

Hi,

For anyone that does'nt know, a comediands life is very easy, he/she turns up with their clothes, borrows a mic, does their act and goes home, no P.A to set up, no sound check and they are always the first act to leave a venue. If you want fame at an easy price be a comedian.

Sue B

...so how come it is always labelled as the hardest job in the world !?????:huh:

just read his book "ey up again " his name is robert wass and he lived at summerfield st he now lives at elsecar he did a lot of work on cruise ships he had a stroke sometime ago i believe he recovered that but i don't know if he still performing his wife is donna hartley athlete/body builder the book is a good read he's been a bit of a lad

Hi,

Sue B

You actually have to be funny if you want to make money. That's the really hard bit.

When I was little we always used to get telephone calls from people asking for Bobby Knutt. My dad was a R Knutt so people just assumed it was the correct name Robert rather than the slang Bobby. That was in the days when the telephone directory was mostly subscribed and 192 was in operation.

Elainel

I understand that he is the new voice over for "Gaffer" in the new Tetley Tea advert

He lives at the bottom of our road in elsecar and saw him a few times in our local.always said hello and had a little chitchat with anyone who spoke to him.also opened a charity event for us in the pub .this was just after his time in emmerdale.don't see him in the pub lately but still see him up and down road or tesco at wath.nice chap if you ask me

Hi Hetty

Seems our paths cross once again. I remember Bobby from school. If I remember rightly he used to live round Parliament street and Summerfield Street. Can't bring the actual street to mind but it was round there. I read his book a while ago and there were a lot of names that I remember from school. The names and the tricks he got up to sent me on a long trip down memory lane. The last time I saw him was in Sherbert plus on West Street in the late eighties. He accused me of getting him into trouble for spilling green ink down his tie while we were at school although I can't bring the particular incident to mind.

Hi Janber i know this post is a few weeks old now but i have only just come across it were you a member of the PEARL ST MOB from the 50s and 60s i know Knutty was because we came to blows on more than one occasion in our youth i was a member of the MOOR ST GANG and we used to raid your bonfires and them ours i have lots of memories of chasing each others members all around Ecclesall rd and Cemetery rd areas like mentioned in quite a few previous posts Knutty was NOT one of the most friendliest people to get to know we came across each other on many an occasion when he worked the club scene and i found him to be very self centered and big headed in fact i stopped talking to him many many years ago i shall have to read a copy of his book to see if i have a mention in it i certainly wont buy one i dont want to give him any royalties even if he is SUPPOSED to be a BLADE anyone remember the stupid coat he wore one derby day at the Lane one half RED & WHITE stripes the other half blue & ****e stripes showed him up for what he was IDIOT :loopy: .

Hi Jack. Long time no post. No, I wasn't a member of either gang as most of my life at that time was taken up with dancing classes. My parents were strict and wanted to know where I was every minute so if I wasn't dancing I was at home.

Your opinion of Knutty seems to be shared by a lot of people on the Forum. I only saw him once after I left school and that was at Sherbert Plus and he was with his wife. I do remember in my much much much younger days at school he once asked me to go out with him but I said no as he was smaller than me and a year below me. Not so cool in those days. Ah, the vanity of youth.

Regards Jan

I used to work with Mr Wass at Newboulds Bakery in the 60s after work we all used to go in the Vic.aross the road for a jar and a **** taking session Vin Kenny was one of the main comics.It was about the time he was in a group on the clubs,what I remember is that he couldnt get a word in.I left for a better job;the next time I saw him was in the70s at midnight in the Batley Variety club,I was on a football team outing to see Tommy Cooper,all night long we had been laughing at the compere .Anyway in a break he came up the steps staight up to me saying[Hey up === r tha still at Newboulds]up to this I honestly hadnt recognised him.He asked if Ide like to meet Tommy Cooper;I was too drunk so he took some of the others.The next time was at a camp site on the east coast in the late90s after the show he said howdoo.A couple of years later at the same venue I took the trouble to wait to see him;he comletely ignored me;must have been a bad night for him,so I thought you can kiss my arse matey youve got problems!.

On 10/07/2004 at 20:05, robo said:

I worked for BT some years ago and had the pleasure of repairing Bobbys phone line.This i did and on completion Bobby asked me if I would prune the rose bushes growing up the wall of his cottage at Stannington,expecting some extra remuniration i pruned the said bushes and was told that the next time he played at the Dial House he would buy me a whisky,I go to the Dial every weekend and 5yrs later am still waiting for the drink.

Do you know whereabouts in Stannington Booby's cottage was? Someone told me it was near the Rose and Crown pub.

On 27/06/2004 at 19:26, duffman said:

Many years ago he used to live in a cottage up Stannington down the road from me. He was always going to the local shop and filling up his old fashioned car with beer. Only dared knock on his door once, he signed an autograph and told me to never disturb him on a Sunday again. Ahhh lost youth.

Do you know whereabouts Bobby's cottage was? Someone told me it was near the Rose and Crown pub where I live.

12 hours ago, fudgepot said:

Do you know whereabouts in Stannington Booby's cottage was? Someone told me it was near the Rose and Crown pub.

Do you know whereabouts Bobby's cottage was? Someone told me it was near the Rose and Crown pub where I live.

It was on Church Street, just down from the Hare and Hounds. It was just over the boundary of the Stannington United cricket ground - we had many “discussions” with Bobby and Donna asking for our ball back….