Anyone out there work at Edgar Allen Foundry?

hello Dave. Any jobs going ? was good ladleman lol

NO WAY BROTHER,, THINGS TUFF OUT THERE. Norton getting rid of 10 this week, i could be asking same question .

Dont see the damm bankers asking for jobs thoe !! lol

I have read with interest about some of the Edgars family and what happened to them.

I would have never guessed that AlbertRN went to Leeds with Alan Fothergill.Some it seems went to Norton Cast Products and I have read they are in the process of "down sizing" because of the financial situation.

But what happened to everyone else?

I know that some have sadly passed away,but apart from JimboW and myself that live on this side of the world whre is everyone else/

I was at an IBF meeting a few years ago and the guest speaker made the comment that people do not realise that everything used in daily life started off in a Foundry.Just think about it iron ore does'nt jump out of the ground.

So when all the foundries have closed or been relocated to China the "Time team"people will come along and start a trench on what Geo-Physics have indications of a possible furnace and metal working under Meadowhall car park!

Hi dave good to hear from you glad you are ok,sorry to hear about ted as i remember your father did the work of two laboures on that noisy shaker as we called it .The reunoin that lee organised was a couple of years ago as i only found out four weeks ago so it would be good to get together for a few beers or so , I see neil roderick from time to time new year's eve last time with his family he lives in ravenfield, Big rod ladle man lives close by he is in the cleaning business i think he was a union man?. I spoke to rod grayson a few weeks ago but lost his number again if you could get it for me , i called at simon parkins house several weeks ago but no one in but i think he works night so i didn't want to knock too loud well i hope it was his house he had a big bmw last time i spoke to him but a volvo there now if you see him dave ask him to bell me .Do you remember brian woodward who worked on shell moulding ?well he lives close by and ask's if everyone is ok .I was looking at some old EAF magazines with photo's of tosh hammond ,walt dawson,geoff swanick,bill steal, and your dad i think it was a darts, and dominos presentation, also alwin lynnes in a cycle race .

Hi,

I had an uncle who worked their for a long time called Jack Codd who lived at Thorpe Hesley. I think he did something on the Shopfloor. Anyone remember him?

Thank you Garry.

Hi Ian...

I thought that re-union was 17th THIS MONTH . Alan pears went down to Carbrook to investigate !! No wonder he has not rung back !!

Yes i am at Norton for now, things not so good at moment. Plenty of the old boys there. Get in touch on my e-mail i can give you details..Or get you in touch with Rod or anybody else.

Edited by Daveofsteel

Interested in any of the old boys from Edgars who have moved out to Canada.. I have strong connections out there, Family out west and i married a Canadian from Ontario. I will be in London Ontario in May this year (09)

I notice one or two have gone to "land of heaven" Lee White i know is out there.

Intresting to see how they got on over there, I know there is plenty of foundries out there but i stayed here, and my wife loves this god damm place ! Not looking to move now i guess i am to old now !!!

[email protected]

Hi i remember a small guy who worked in the very top corner of the melting shop he used to cut bricks and line the furniss'es his name was jack but never got his surname .

great to see so many old names in this forum I worked as an electrician from 77 til closure.Kept in touch with a few old edgarites, martin wraith, also an electrician, see kevin boden and geoff boldock now and again.Sad to see plumpers shut down,spent many a happy night shift in there with ken wildgoose and joe o brian.Remember graham shift supervisor in melting shop,once caught me back scuttling a cleaner on x-ray table. good old days

great to see so many old names in this forum I worked as an electrician from 77 til closure.Kept in touch with a few old edgarites, martin wraith, also an electrician, see kevin boden and geoff boldock now and again.Sad to see plumpers shut down,spent many a happy night shift in there with ken wildgoose and joe o brian.Remember graham shift supervisor in melting shop,once caught me back scuttling a cleaner on x-ray table. good old days

Hi roper..., not a bad looking girl as far as i remember she was a very busy cleaner . hope you visited the fettling shop after.

Ebow, His name was Jack Wing

Jack wing yes i remember his name well but i can't put a face to him: : I must be going :loopy:

I used to work in the stores and then the weighbridge from 75 to 77. I remember Ken Wildgoose- Mechanical fitter as I recall. The firm survived on making rail crossings and dredger buckets. I was friendly with a few of the fitters but can only recall Big Harold, Ken Wildgoose, Ted Whiteway(s?), an apprentice called Joe who was right in at the start of the punk schene, and the foreman Colin Prentice. Not sure if that was his job title. It was my first job after leaving school and was an education in it's own right. Had some good times and some bad. I was sorry and angry to hear about it closing to make way for Meadowhall.

Regards

Mick