Anyone out there work at Edgar Allen Foundry?

EBOW1. You may not remember me. I worked in the Melting Shop, ladleman ( Bluto ). I am an old schoolmate of Rod Grayson. You remember that day we went sea fishing on that converted gunboat

Hi bluto yes i do remember , tony yes? was it a raf topedo boat or something like that , seem to remember us going to the edgar a sports club for a game of cricket you rod nailer twins i dont remember if we played the pattern shop? i was talking to rod and asked how you are keeping good that you got back in touch hope you and family are ok . I was talking to pedlar (furniss man ) was his name Jack? he is still ploding on i also called to se stan newsome at wincobank if you can remember him crane driver on big side worked above alwin lynnes his 2 sons also worked with us mark and roy , (mark be good to hear from you and stan again please get in touch) bluto was it that fishing trip where we all finished up in york and we all got blatherd or something like that anway if you see any edgar lads or lasses tell them to get in touch be great to hear from them would be great to meet up at some time and have a few beers .Ebow.

if i remember right bob was in melting and then came to us in the foundry, nice bloke.

george! never knew his surname, but do you mean george who used to bring the patterns in to the foundry. i remember the others. i can remember john s' being tied to a girder indian style between 3 & 4 furnaces and then the slag doors were opened!!!!!!!!!

when/what did you do in the bus station. i worked for mainline in the bus garage on midland road in the 90s

Hi do you remember banachek,, or brian king (paint shop manager as we called him jock the crane driver on small side ,also derek the crane driver also on small side spoke to him on shoream street on his way to rotherham to the rhinos for a few beers he does not look no different . Do you remember roy on track work ,walt freeman used to call him bootsi what was his surname?

hi ian. bootsie! come on, roy buxton. try these-- fred batson, eric caldwell, johnnie rigsby, ronnie henderson, jerry france, hugh sykes and of course pete dinnigan. since reading this thread ive come up with well over 80 names. what did they used to call her that took us for our log books (we used to like her). oh! just a couple more then--glyn havenhand/ chris holden. can you remember putting nagi in the skip and filling it with airset; and belting him over the head with a hammer from behind (he had his helmet on)

chaged username used to be ratstabber

Hi could not think of buxton's surname to save my life do you no what he is up to these days ,be good to get in touch. log book girl was mollie can't remember her surname .gerry by the way is still nocking around in whiston he lives on saville road but i have not seen him for a while.Where is kenny limb the gentle giant?.Remember that young student guy that worked the roller draw dinn't get his finger end out fast enough and squashed it off ,Tommy scandrets saved it for him in a match box but he never came back to work any way his finger went black so tom threw it.Do you remember ben't lenny ?when we made him a sandwich of tom's tallow for dripping put on a bit of salt and a few of rods maggots to spice it up,Rod shouts (lenny) don't eat that it's got maggots on it , lenny shouts F**** o** and stop purrin me of mi snapp . Christ did we pull some stunts how did we get away with it,and yes i do remember smacking naggi over head and hard hat with that long shaffted hammer ,bit to hard really almost nocked his head off ,i spoke to naggi a couple of weeks ago in firth park he looks very well and doing ok i liked naggi he was a great laugh all though i almost killed him.

I started at Edgar Allen's in 1942, in the Machinery dept., as office boy on Vulcan Rd. I used to go round all the departments delivering mail. As a boy, I found the foundry fascinating' so much so, that whilst watching the furnace 'blowing' , I stepped into some hot slag and burnt my shoe. Later worked in the Sales office on Sheffield rd. for Arthur Scholey. His father was a real old timer of Edgar's. I'm 80 now, but will never forget those days. Very pleased that this thread has been started. Bye.

Further memories. 'Giant ' Harry Hardwick, a designer in the Trackwork dept, on Shepcote Lane. His job was to lay-out, and then chalk-out, on the floor of the 'Ball-room', the shapes of railway crossings. The pattern makers would then contnue from there. Then there was Charlie Pigott, the Works photographer. His job was to photo the finished castings, before they were taken by horse and dray over Tinsley bridge, to East Tinsley station. Foundry work,was an ever present topic in our house, as my father worked in HADFIELD's foundry, as I did, many years later.

Does anyone remember George Marsden he was Foundry Manager in the sixties, lived across the road from me at Brinsworth in some old cottages.....

No i dont remember him i started in 69 and if i remember the foundry manager was joe cowley.

Hiya again. Ebow, I think we we went twice to Whitby, sea fishing. One time one of the cars broke down going and I can't remember which trip it was where we finished up in York ( cant remember if it was York)lol, I was pi$$ed. Sorry I dont remember many foundry lads I know Rod Grayson,Tommy Scandrett, yourself, Alwyn, Nailer twins, Dinnigan George Stainrod and his brother( cant remember his name ) there was a Jack Stainrod in the melting Dept who was my best man when I got married. As for big Rod giving JR a hard time, I think ratstabber,you will find it was me. JR hated me with a passion lol.I do remember Barry Grayson and his mate setting fire to that Pakistani lad and nearly got sack. I will post some more when my brain gets back into gear. You know,it's great hearing from old colleagues

Gilbert, Big Stan Newsome, his lad (sadley Got killed ) Colin Unwin,Albert barraclough, Georgie Tucker, Pat Sharpe, Dave Hayden. Keith Wadsworth, Richard Nighingale,Jim Watkins, Henley Smith.Jack Heathcoate Jack Merryweather, Stan Morton, Gordon Atkins Pete Froggat. Joe Pole, Joe Simms, John Seaton Oh and Paula Twelvetrees ( office lass )

Reading this with intrest.. I am Dave Sunderland, i worked in moulding with Ian , Rod, and many more. My Dad was a Forman there.

I am still in steel, at Norton Cast with Barry Grayson, Mick Naylor, Mick Towers, M OBrien and a few more, I will be sharing a pint perhaps.. with Dave Beniston this afternoon. Alan pears is still around ,he is my uncle i may give him a call about this re-union, My Dad sadly died some years ago.

Please drop me a line @

djsunders40@hotmail.com

hello Dave. Any jobs going ? was good ladleman lol