Anyone out there work at Edgar Allen Foundry?

Bootsie here, (Roy Buxton) I remember some of you. You wanted to know what has happened to me. I am alive and kicking and living in Torbay. I have been living here for some 27 years or so. It must be the fresh air (or the ale that I like). Ian how are you? Long time no see. Have I got the right Ian did your second name start with B and did you go into fancy plasterwork.

I have been known to travel back to Sheffield and stay with S W Naylor. and friends. He is the only one that I am still in touch with.

Hope to hear from some more old friends.

I worked at Edgar Allen Foundry Machine Shop from 1974 to 1985 three years before it closed in 1988. The Manager at the Machine shop was Brian Puckering & who then left to another management post at Thorndon Engineering. Does anyone remember machine foremans: Eric Hanson & Jack. Also, Tommy Smith from the machine shop? :)

my uncle [horace symons] worked there for many years in the offices never knew exactly what he did his diabetes killed him in the mid 70`s

if i remember right bob was in melting and then came to us in the foundry, nice bloke.

george! never knew his surname, but do you mean george who used to bring the patterns in to the foundry. i remember the others. i can remember john s' being tied to a girder indian style between 3 & 4 furnaces and then the slag doors were opened!!!!!!!!!

when/what did you do in the bus station. i worked for mainline in the bus garage on midland road in the 90s

Sylvester Alexander Sharpe!!!

Hi I remember Eric, Jack and Brian but i cant remember Tommy..............I worked there from 1970 to the finish in the foundry. I remember casting a spoke shave and Eric got it machined up for me. Still got it! Although i knew most people around the company i didnt know all there names, other than the foundry. All a dying breed now. Times have changed so much.

Hi Roy. Glad to hear you are well. Remember when you came back to Edgars and we worked together on the impellers. We alway get an xmas card off Stuart but i aint seen him for years. Seen Mick a couple of times when ive called at Norton Cast to see Barry and Simon. Glad to hear youve done ok in Torbay. I got out of the foundries in 1990 and never looked back! Suppose the bronchitis will kick in in a few years! Take care mate DG

Eleke95 .. I worked on the switch and telex at E A Steels around 1976 with jessie beck

Hey

My dad, Harry Cook did served his molders apprenticeship there in the late 70's early 80's

martyn cook:D

I worked at the Foundry's Radiography Department as part of my first job 1958 to 1962. The late Fred Hinsley was in charge of the department and the Chief Director of the Foundry's Research Department was the late Professor Edwin Gregory. They were manufacturing electric motor casing (castings) which we radiographed to try to find any cavities in them, --they were for use in London underground trains and also other electric locomotives. Mr Hinsley was also an expert in magnetic properties of steels and we also measured the magnetic properties of the steels of these castings. Edgar Allen Ltd. also manufactured magnet-castings for cyclotrons (atomic particle accelerators) and various electomagnets.

The firm was also supplying trackwork for the railways. Permanent magnets for railway signalling. The firm were also manufacturing cement kilns.

hi martyn..........i worked with your dad at EAF, he started just after me....sometimes went for a few beers with him. last i heard of him he was working on insutrial roofs! not seen him for years........is he still in rotherham? hows he doing? i remember his mom may in the bay horse. if you see him tell him dave g' still remembers him. cheers DG

Does anyone remember George Marsden he was Foundry Manager in the sixties, lived across the road from me at Brinsworth in some old cottages.....

Yes, I remember the foundry Manager George Marsden, he used to come to the Radiography department in the "Research Department" on the corner of Vulcan Road and the main road.He came to review the radiographs of the various castings to understand how to make them "feed better" so as to avoid cavities in them. One memorable occasion was when we cast some very large gearwheel castings which came out full of bubbles of gas, -like Aero chocolate! -it was cast and the defect was repeated several times and was eventually found to be caused by a works cat using heated moulds as a resting place over night! -when the hot metal was poured in the gas was produced and the sulphur and phosphorous content was sky high!