Where can I buy Sheffield Steel Knives?

Canuck what's the full address for Morton's please? I'll be visiting next week from Malta and want to get some good quality Sheffield steel knives.

Canuck what's the full address for Morton's please? I'll be visiting next week from Malta and want to get some good quality Sheffield steel knives.

Profile and contact details for Mortons based in West Street, Sheffield.

Address

Mortons

150 West Street

Sheffield

S1 4ES

Type of Business

Mortons are listed under:

Food_and_Drink > Catering_Equipment

Telephone: 0114-272 8425

Dont buy any cutlery from David Mellor Design, only the plastic handled cutlery is made on site over 95% of their other cutlery is made in Japan & China. They dont have enough staff to produce the amount of goods that is sold on line and in their two shops, I believe they only have around six production staff.

Try Jack Adams they are in the Henry St area.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 17:31 ----------

Paul Isiard owns the Sheffield Shop on Eccy Rd and you can be assured what you buy will be made in Sheffield,not cheap but you get what you pay for.

There used to be a Sheffield Cutlery outlet shop/factory shop in Handsworth, near Asda, try there.

Try Jack Adams they are in the Henry St area.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 17:31 ----------

Paul Isiard owns the Sheffield Shop on Eccy Rd and you can be assured what you buy will be made in Sheffield,not cheap but you get what you pay for.

Im sorry but thats not true, David Mellor black handled kitchen knives & Mellors solid S/S pairer knives they may be Paris range are made in China & Japan respectively and the Sheffield shop knows this but still sells them. I must add the Chinese knives are very good indeed but they are sold under the impression that they are made at David Mellors, anyone can go, ring up or e-mail and ask them if they can see the black handled kitchen range being made and you will be told some excuse as to why they cannot fulfill your request, the only thing they do to the knives IS unpack them etch the Mellor name on them by Electrolytic etching.

---------- Post added 04-12-2012 at 19:05 ----------

There used to be a Sheffield Cutlery outlet shop/factory shop in Handsworth, near Asda, try there.

A lot of this cutlery was imported from Guy DeGrenne in France.

Edited by lazarus

is there any cutlery experts on the forum who can advise as to what is the best sort of carving knives to buy for general household use.I have been told that you cannot sharpen stainless to a good degree of sharpness and that the best carving knives should have carbon in their make up,is this correct and I apoligise if I have hijacked this thread but I am sure this info could be of use to the original poster.

Dont buy any cutlery from David Mellor Design, only the plastic handled cutlery is made on site over 95% of their other cutlery is made in Japan & China. They dont have enough staff to produce the amount of goods that is sold on line and in their two shops, I believe they only have around six production staff.

I have a David Mellor silver tea service must be 50 years old, made at W&H still looks brand new

try abbeydale industrial site think they make some cutlery there

Lazuras,sorry I didn't realize he sold the Mellor stuff,I don't think Don did.

is there any cutlery experts on the forum who can advise as to what is the best sort of carving knives to buy for general household use.I have been told that you cannot sharpen stainless to a good degree of sharpness and that the best carving knives should have carbon in their make up,is this correct and I apoligise if I have hijacked this thread but I am sure this info could be of use to the original poster.

Kitchen Devil the one that looks like a bread knife.