Where can I buy Sheffield Steel Knives?

What about viners? Is that any good and from sheffield?

They were bought out by Oneida, a UK subsid of a US company. Badly run company and awful quality product. No Sheffield made stuff.

Try Deeleys at Orgreave.

How about taylor's eye witness, anybody know anything about the brand or owned some of their knives? Some of their collections are made in Sheffield but not sure where they source their steel or anything.

Am headed home to canada for christmas and need to pick up a good set for my parents as well :D

Good luck canuck, let me know what you find.

Actually, do any steel cutleries are produced, AND made in Sheffield, any more ? I was going to suggest TX Maxx actually, but looking at the comments made here. It's no difference if you just bought any from a department store.

I thought that Richardson was a Sheffield brand.

It upsets me as a Sheffielder to go into a local cutlery store and be told the best cutlery in the world comes from Solingen in Germany. When I asked about Sheffield made, I was told they hadn't sold any of that in years.

I work in the machine knife industry, could do you a nice line in plasterboard knives or ready-meal heat seal knives, made in sheffield;)

Most of our steel is German or Swedish, some French spring steel, last steel I remember buying that was British was some Stainless from Avesta 3 years ago, mind you that may have come from finland and was only rolled here.

There is no future in engineering in this country, might as well retrain as a hairdressser or get a job stacking shelves.

this thread has to be one of the most depressing inditement of what was a great British industry.

Just go into the Millenium Centre in Sheffield to see what the designers and workers were capable of years ago.

It's enough to make you weep.

Actually, I do find that a little sad too. When I was a kid, I used to spot 'made in sheffield' knives. I think even some of the British Airway ones were stamped with a 'made in sheffield' sign. I can't remember whether we knabbed one or not. *cough*

Anyway... how come we didn't maintain some kind of small productions in Sheffield ? Do you think it will still sell if there were an independent factory which still sell British-made steel and cutleries ?

A ex-colleague once told me of some guy he knew which knew all about scissors, and how they were made, and they function, and all the rest of it. I just find it sad that such skills are not used, and gone. Since the guy must've worked in the same company throughout his lifetime. There are no jobs for life any more. I just thought that there might've been steel workers who have kept their skills and entered into the art arena or something.

Actually, some guy who was a fabricator (?) did just that. He was featured in some BBC learning programme. I can't remember his name now. I do wish there were more steel worker-turned-artists around.

is there not anyone in the UK making high quality Stainless steel cutlery anymore?

Osbournes behind snighill, their factory is there and their factory shop...really lovely stuff...

Osbornes is no more!!!!!!!

The Cutlery industry is dead in sheffield, As for buying sheffield cutlery from TK MAXX!!!!! oh my god noooooooooooo. This would be cheap stuff and not from sheffield, only sold in sheffield. Viners no longer exist either, all that comes now from abroad. Sheffield Scene best bet in sheffield. No big names here anymore. Deeleys at HAndsworth suppose that they do this and carry the George Butler name but do not believe this. they bought the name only. The George Butler cutlery dead and gone when the factory shut down.

Interesting to see that Warris website. I thought their building on Mary Street was derelict until I saw a bloke going in there the other day!

There are one or two cutlery firms in that area, still operating from buildings that look like they're ready to fall down.

Hi all,

I just thought I had better write back and let you know our findings.

We went to Sheffield Scene, The Sheffield Shop, and a couple of others; but the absolute best place by far was Morton's on West Street. They had a wide selection of cutlery, knives, scissors, etc. all made in Sheffield out of Sheffield Steel. The man behind the counter was extremely helpful, and the prices were very good.