Neighbour smoking pot

If he's laundering money or fencing car stereos then I'll rethink my position but until I find out for sure I'll just stick to the original problem :-)
But he's still breaking the law, and may well as a result be part of the chain that introduces young people to a life of illegal drugs and social failure.

Are you therefore happy to leave him 'to his own' rather than do the responsible thing and inform the Police?

As he lives next door to my Mother it's not up to me how it's dealt with.

It's also unfair to assume that because someone is cultivating cannabis, then they must be introducing young people to a life of drugs and ultimately, social failure.

There are a great many people who grow their own plants and are not a part of the criminal underworld!

Has it not occured to you that the neighbour may be growing his own for his personal use and that of his friends. In fact could it not also be the case that he was oblivious to the problems the smell could cause and is indeed very sorry, hence the reason he seems to be trying to rectify the situation.

As he lives next door to my Mother it's not up to me how it's dealt with.

It's also unfair to assume that because someone is cultivating cannabis, then they must be introducing young people to a life of drugs and ultimately, social failure.

There are a great many people who grow their own plants and are not a part of the criminal underworld!

Has it not occured to you that the neighbour may be growing his own for his personal use and that of his friends. In fact could it not also be the case that he was oblivious to the problems the smell could cause and is indeed very sorry, hence the reason he seems to be trying to rectify the situation.

It's still against the law, and therefore is part of the criminal world. Does that mean anything to you, or are you simply one of those people who chooses only to adhere only to the laws that suit them?

It's because people don't have the social responsibility, or moral courage, to report crimes that sink estates are what they are.

It's still against the law, and therefore is part of the criminal world. Does that mean anything to you, or are you simply one of those people who chooses only to adhere only to the laws that suit them?

It's because people don't have the social responsibility, or moral courage, to report crimes that sink estates are what they are.

That's your opinion and you're entitled to it. I don't choose to adhere to laws that suit me. I choose to give people the benefit of the doubt.

If I reported the neighbour to the police and he had indeed removed the offending foliage from his property what would I have achieved?

Also. why should I ruin this young mans life? Especially if it transpires that he's no longer growing cannabis!

As for moral courage - Some people don't have the 'courage' to report neighbours for fear of recrimination. Would the police keep those people safe? Would the council rehome them or indeed if that person owned their own home would they be able to sell their property and move?

Things aren't always black and white.

The police should do something about it if you tell them. My son had the exact same problem. His family's clothes smelled of it, their food tasted of it, even their furniture had a wiff. He contacted the police who did investigate and found the guy had a veritable harvest of the stuff growing there. 300 propogating trays were removed from the property. My son is an ex skunk smoker so he felt like a bit of a t**t reporting this guy but was worried about the effect it was having on his kids. Maybe you could start by contacting your community constable

The police should do something about it if you tell them. My son had the exact same problem. His family's clothes smelled of it, their food tasted of it, even their furniture had a wiff. He contacted the police who did investigate and found the guy had a veritable harvest of the stuff growing there. 300 propogating trays were removed from the property. My son is an ex skunk smoker so he felt like a bit of a t**t reporting this guy but was worried about the effect it was having on his kids. Maybe you could start by contacting your community constable

Thankyou for your constructive advice nightraker. At the moment the smell seems to have dwindled considerably and so therefore I think it only fair to see whether the situation has been resolved.

I know that my Mum would be happy if no other action has to be taken.

300 propogating trays is SOME harvest!!! I'm not surprised it was affecting your son and his family!!! It's also hardly surprising that he felt he had to report it.

What was the outcome?

Does your son still live next door to the neighbour in question?

Did your son speak to the neighbour before he finally reported him?

Mrs Carter, I like the sound of you and the way you deal with your neighbours; socially responsible, without being uneccesarily arsey. You'd be very welcome as a neighbour of mine - I think we'd get on fine.

Norbert, I think your attitude is foolish and shortsighted - surely it makes sense as Mrs C seems to be advocating, to negotiate and try diplomacy before going to law.

Mrs Carter, I like the sound of you and the way you deal with your neighbours; socially responsible, without being uneccesarily arsey. You'd be very welcome as a neighbour of mine - I think we'd get on fine.

Norbert, I think your attitude is foolish and shortsighted - surely it makes sense as Mrs C seems to be advocating, to negotiate and try diplomacy before going to law.

Which is the more important ethic to follow:

A. Upholding the law?

B. Keeping your drug-taking, law-breaking neighbour happy?

For me, as I should hope for most respectable and law-abiding members of the community, it is a very simple choice.

Which is the more important ethic to follow:

A. Upholding the law?

B. Keeping your drug-taking, law-breaking neighbour happy?

For me, as I should hope for most respectable and law-abiding members of the community, it is a very simple choice.

It would depend on the natire of my neighbour's relationship with me and with the nature of their drug use; if their drug use was not a problem to me or not causing any grief to others then I'd be inclined to let it be. If as was the case in the OP the smell of their dope smoking or growing was permeating my space, my first port of call would be to politely let them know and take it from there.

It would depend on the natire of my neighbour's relationship with me and with the nature of their drug use; if their drug use was not a problem to me or not causing any grief to others then I'd be inclined to let it be. If as was the case in the OP the smell of their dope smoking or growing was permeating my space, my first port of call would be to politely let them know and take it from there.

That's fair enough, and I'm sure would lead to harmony with your neighbour.

I for one would not take your route of supporting crime - I would report the criminal for his criminal activity. Drugs are an enormous problem for us all, and turning a blind eye to people growing illegal drugs should in itself be imprisonable for 'aiding and abetting'.

That's fair enough, and I'm sure would lead to harmony with your neighbour.

I for one would not take your route of supporting crime - I would report the criminal for his criminal activity. Drugs are an enormous problem for us all, and turning a blind eye to people growing illegal drugs should in itself be imprisonable for 'aiding and abetting'.

Ever broken the law yourself in any capacity ?

Ever broken the law yourself in any capacity ?

Yes, I once went a little over the top on 'educating' a dealer who had peddled stuff to a member of my family. The charges were dropped though.:thumbsup: