Sign in to follow this  

The cost of living in the City Centre

What does it cost people to live in Sheffield City Centre?

You know, not only the rent or mortgage, but service charges, ground rent, electricity bills, car parking, etc, etc?

What do you get for your money?

I'd say about £500 a month all in!

Depends if your renting or buying.

It was far cheaper to buy in my case.

I wish it was £500 a month here!!!! lol

Rent- £575 pcm. which is actually pretty cheap for a 2 bedroom/2 bathroom penthouse with parking.

council tax- around £120 a month i think

Our building has a service charge of around £1000 a year,but that included in the rent along with the water rates.

But then obviously you've got your broadband/phone/sky bills to add on top of that as well.

Electricity and other utilities should be the same as anywhere else in Sheffield. Parking is about £50/month from what I see. Maintenance charges will vary by the complex...can't help you much there. Other than those two extra charges I don't think that the total cost has any other extra variables.

Expensive in most cases! I know some people renting in Royal Plaza for £595/month for a 2 bed third floor. (no parking)

No council tax if you're a student, but then its just plus the bills which would work out to about another £80/month inc. internet

So, £675 to live there, or £337.50 if you are sharing.

More if you have to pay council tax aswell.

Okay its close to where you might work, and you can crawl home from the pub, but it is really that important. I think it will fade off after some time. There was a demand for housing, it got met at the right time, go in cycles these things! Hardly something a FTB can afford now are they. One bed pigeon huts for £100k!