Al-Jazeera (English) Launches today

no not seen it. any good ?

Yes, it's excellent. It's a documentary about Al Jazeera during the gulf war. Very revealing.

The BBC World Service broadcasts in many languages, so why not A--Jazeera?

Will be worth looking at,might give a new slant on events,it cant do any harm to have as many angles coverd as possible.

I have sometimes watched Al Jazeera (the Arabic version) on Sky. However, when I looked for it recently, it had disappeared from the line up.It used to be 799. Does anyone know if Sky will be offering the English language version?

I think they made it pay to view on sky. Watched a bit of the English one this afternoon, same as any other news channel.

It will be refreshing to hear the news from Al-Jazeera to even things up.

Hardly. It'll be more of the same if anything else.

I have sometimes watched Al Jazeera (the Arabic version) on Sky. However, when I looked for it recently, it had disappeared from the line up.It used to be 799. Does anyone know if Sky will be offering the English language version?

It's on 514 on Sky. I'll be very interested to watch it too and see if it presents any different view points.

Well, I watched about an hour of it this evening, and up to now;- so far so good!

It will be interesting to get their take on world events, especially when stuff kicks off in the Middle East.

Doors are open to them that are closed to most Western media outlets, tonights report from Zimbabwe being one.

Hardly. It'll be more of the same if anything else.

It is never a waste of time listening to bi-polar views in the world.

That is the only way to reach a balanced view of world events. :)

I wonder how much of it is going to be propaganda.

Having said that, I also wonder how much of our news is.

Not as much as most but more than it should be.

I listen to world radio from all over and get the same story with a new slant from each broadcaster.

Auntie beeb is the one with the least bias but there is a little blair hint from time to time.

It was great to hear the voice of america and radio moscow slug it out while the bbc remained mostly neutral.

In some countries the TV and radio is all the government line.

We don't do bad here but I welcome other broadcasters of all types as if we take care to try to understand others including the nutty end of islam we may well be able to stop them doing as they do.

I'm actually surprised with everyone's responses as I was expecting a certain level of negativity, but its nice to see the the majority have an open mind.

Mind you, the likes of Bartfast have been awfully quite recently, perhaps its the sight of their middle eastern policies come crumbling down that have led them to keep a low profile.

I actually fancy watching a bit of it - will it be on sky/telewest/freeview at all?

Honk

(do they have arabic geese?)