Beacholme Holiday Camp Cleethorpes

I remember me and my mate Roy cycling there to camp in a two man tent for a week in the 50's.

The army were still there and the camp area was surrounded with barbed wire.

All the old jokes about being in an army camp not a holiday were true in those days but we were likely lads and enjoyed every minute of our adventures there.

Happy Days!

You lot are making me feel realy ancient, cos I remember having weeks holidays at Beacholm back in the 50s,don't remember a pool though.The camp was at the bottom of North Sea lane I think and it was pretty basic,mostly just caravans,a shop and an old ride on roundabout for the kids.At that time you could walk from the campsite along a gravelled path all the way into Cleethorpes by the leisure centre.I bet its a bit different around there now,might go back and have a look.

Passed it a couple weeks ago, had a holiday there in the chalets must be 40 or more years ago, the Beachcomber club and every thing looks just the same. The first holidays I can remember were at Beacholme before the chalets when it were all caravans and a stage in the middle of the camp and a sand pit to play in(always came out of the sandpit orange) and some swings. My dad used to take us to the beach and follow the tide out and collect cockles,then boil them.Lovely.

The club used to be what looked like an old aeroplane hanger across the road from the main gate. Happy simple childhood days.

i can remember about 1949/50,when there were old trams and trolley buses converted into living accomodation on Beacholme,as well as a lot of tents,mostly ex army,we went forseveral years.As you went into the camp the reception office was on your right,and next to that ,was a big old pre-war caravan which was converted in to a fish&chip van,Im sure they were cooked in waggon grease .i remember palling up with the woods brothers about 1955 or so when i was about 9,there was tommy,i cant remember the other one and i think they came from Attercliffe,and they stayed in their uncle Harrys caravan,(where are they now?).Ive got very fond memorys of Beacholme in the 50s ,we could walk about Humberstone in complete safety then. I can also remember us playing as kids in the old wartime "pill-boxes" which were spread a long the coastal area,they used to stink rotten.:)

I met my husband at the holiday camp next to this one, think it was called Fitties we used to call Beachholme - Sandyhouse.

I can remember the old buses that were on the site to, in fact I can remember staying in a converted single decker bus. One of the best memories I have of going there is we'd been to Wonderland (dad loved the coconut shy) and we got the bus back to the camp, and one chap having enjoyed his pint started to sing to himself, by the time we reached the camp the everyone was singing the Unchained Melody, (it was rerecorded a few months ago by Will Young?). Happy memories of getting up early to to the fish docks, and coming back with lovely fresh cod. Just playing cricket on the site when anyone would pick themselves i. Oh happy happy days.

if only we could go back to those times and know what we know now?

Great Memories everybody.

Good on Yer!

Happy Days indeed.

He wasn't one of the "International Acts' was he?

just seen your comment - no he wasn't one of the "International Acts" but I would have shot him out of a cannon at the drop of a hat.

I used to work at beacholme in the early seventies and remember every year 2 chaps used to arrive from yorkshire dressed as teddy boys!!!! they were the real thing and used to amaze me (I was a bovver boy wanna be).

I used to work on the roller skate ring which was next to the arcade,

It has to be said it was a bit of a dump but it gave lots of folk a week of escape from the pits and stuff so I guess it served its purpose.

I was only 15 when I started there and was waiting for my Navy call up papers....I met some nice yorkshire lasses and can remember friday nights ...all tears and kisses and stuff because it was the last night!!!They only lived 50 or 60 miles up the road but it was like they were going miles away!!!!!!! Memories.

Theres somethingi cant understand,you said you were waiting for your navy call up papers at 15 years old? in the 70s,conscription finished back in the 1950s.