A wander around Leeds- another Leeds vs Sheffield thread

Heh heh, brilliant! The best poetry to come out of Leeds since The Sisters of Mercy's lyric book.

Basically, Macdonald's have sold the hotel off in a lease back agreement.

Apparently there were a couple of other hotel companies that wouldn't have minded getting their hands on it.

Bit of a shocker.

Hope it's not 'Travelodge'! :gag:

Nah, Macdonald's are still running it. I don't think Travel Lodge would be able to afford it anyway. :P

Heh heh, brilliant! The best poetry to come out of Leeds since The Sisters of Mercy's lyric book.

I didn't get the Sisters of Mercy until I visited leeds. Then it all became clear.

You'd write "Black Planet" too, if you lived there.

Run around in the radiation

Run around in the acid rain

On a

Black

Black planet

Black planet hanging over the highway

Out of my mind's eye

Out of the memory

Black world out of my mind

Lots of fact there Firecracker.

This city council is dreadful - always has been.

Somebody said that Leeds is a 'pretentious city' - this council certainly 'pretends' to care about Sheff and its people.

IMO they have let the city decay into clearly devided have/have not areas - 'crime spree city' rather than the 'crime free city' that they garbled on about a few years ago.

My area is pretty good but the crooks are bound to zoom into places that prosper - richer pickings - so the councils' dis-regard for the poor impacts us all.

Sheff sadly, just doesn't compare to most other cities of similar size. Take a walk on the 'wild side' - that is down town, if you can bear the embarrassment, it is a sad end to a city that once was amongst the very best in the country.

I love Sheff dearly and it pains me to see the sad derelict she has become.

Somebody said that Leeds is a 'pretentious city' - this council certainly 'pretends' to care about Sheff and its people.

IMO they have let the city decay into clearly devided have/have not areas - 'crime spree city' rather than the 'crime free city' that they garbled on about a few years ago.

My area is pretty good but the crooks are bound to zoom into places that prosper - richer pickings - so the councils' dis-regard for the poor impacts us all.

Sheff sadly, just doesn't compare to most other cities of similar size. Take a walk on the 'wild side' - that is down town, if you can bear the embarrassment, it is a sad end to a city that once was amongst the very best in the country.

Superb point SuperTyke. We can go around in circles, Sheffields got this and that and Manchester and Leeds does not have etc, etc etc. The fact of the matter the city of Sheffield is according to people outside, just a massive pit village, that once had an industry but decayed. Its funny though, people are singing Put your Hands up for Detroit, which at one stage an industrial city just like Sheffield. What song can we sing???? Love Re-Generation

Just pathetic and the councillors need to stand up and be counted.

Absolute rubbish - with the exception of car crime, Sheffield has a far lower rate for serious crime eg murder, gun crime, assault, robbery, rape, burglary than any northern city with the exception of York.

Absolute rubbish - with the exception of car crime, Sheffield has a far lower rate for serious crime eg murder, gun crime, assault, robbery, rape, burglary than any northern city with the exception of York.

Reason being theres nothing happening in Sheffield. Even the criminals have to pick their brains on who to rob. Newcastle, Edinburgh, Glasgow, Middlesbrough are cities that do not suffer as much serious crimes as Sheffield. Like it or not Sheffields gun crime is increasingly much more rapid than Manchester, but obviously not as bad.

===================================================

Ask yourself - do I feel lucky? For your lack of civility would require this consideration were you to address me in a similar way in person.

We are talking about Sheff - NOWHERE ELSE - my point is that the councils' appalling record re;- rentable housing causes areas to run down to the point where drugs/alcohol/crime incubates happily in the slimey streets and crumbling tower blocks.

Incidently, 'car crime' is the type of crime that is most likely to impact most people, most of the time, the results of which or often devastating in their own way.

I am taking your word that your figures for this highly contentious subject are accurate - although, on second thoughts - I'm NOT taking your word for it, I've no time for statistics - massaged or otherwise.

Its funny though, people are singing Put your Hands up for Detroit, which was at one stage an industrial city just like Sheffield.

What song can we sing???? Love Re-Generation;

It would be a good choice, dj4321, for what the city needs now, certainly is 'love, sweet love...

'Avenues and Alleyways' by our own Tony, might be another!!

Or what about 'I Can Stand a Little Rain' by Sheffs legend - Joe Cocker!!

'Don't You Want Me?' - Human League - is another.. :thumbsup:

Nah, Macdonald's are still running it. I don't think Travel Lodge would be able to afford it anyway. :P

Not quite true, as they (Travelodge)are owned by Sheik Mohammed, crown Prince of Dubai!!

He could buy out any hotel chain in the world.

Not quite true, as they (Travelodge)are owned by Sheik Mohammed, crown Prince of Dubai!!

He could buy out any hotel chain in the world.

I was only joking at the time but thanks for that added info.

I would have thought it would suit such as Radisson but aren't there rumours flying around that they may propose a swish hotel across from the train station?