Demise of Hole in the Road...commercial vandalism or what?

Memories of the Hole in The Road - See if these jog anyones memory:

The Fish in the Fishtank

The bloke stood between the Fishtank and C&A Shoes entrance with the never ending pile of cigarette lighters.

The PTE travel shop which was only about 6 foot wide.

The greengrocers next to the old Yorkshire Electric shops that everyone seemed to buy fruit from.

Three branches of GT News (one opposite bus travel shop, one opposite C&A and one next to Rackhams lower entrance).

The original Peters shoe shop where there was only room for two blokes.

All the boarded up shops on the ramp to Fitzalan Square.

Queuing down the ramp from Fitzalan Square waiting for the number 4 bus.

Walking up the steps that came out at the top of King Street and thinking that you really should have walked up more steps.

The paper shop at the bottom of the ramp from Angel Street where the two old women behind the counter had to lean right out of the kiosk to give you your change.

The back entrance to the Danish Kitchen through the old Horners store.

Going into the Co-op without walking outside.

The downstairs Halifax Building Society which was inside Schofields.

Speaking of which, the china department of Schofields where you daren't move your hands from slammed against your side if you were walking throw because you knew the staff were eyeballing you.

The Visionhire shop between Schofields and Midland Bank where you had to go weekly to pay for the TV.

The one man band that used to play in the recess between Rackhams and High Street exit.

Running down the long ramp, as a kid, from Arundel Gate on the Rackhams - it went on forever when you were about 6 or 7!

The toilets that used to be between Horners and Schofields with the attendants and as a young boy feeling a man when you finally got to stand at the urinals (obviously excludes the girls!).

Everyone huddling into the sides of Castle Square when it was raining.

Can't think of anymore for now, hope that it brings back some fond memories for others too.

I agree that the Hole In The Road now would be unsafe to be at anytime of the day, but I can still look back with fondness to a time when people generally looked after Sheffield.

Ta ra!

Yes..Sheffield went down hill the moment they filled it in, I can remeber all of the above but I'm not that old:hihi:

They built Meadowhall and this killed the city centre off even more, it will never be the same!:(

The new indoor market to be built on the Moor would be an ideal opportunity for the developers to exercise a little imagination and give Sheffield something unique. An aquarium would be a great idea.

But knowing Sheffield, don`t hold your breath.

My great grandad died down there of a heart attack, I personally think they should have not filled it in.

It should have been left alone, the Council love to tear down ANYTHING of historic interest....

I’ve uploaded a few photographs I took of the ‘Hole in the Road’ onto my Flickr page search for 'hole in the road sheffield carl'

Older Wednesdayites might recognise Sammy in one of the photos, he would be held aloft in the centre of the Kop to the refrain of "Sammy, Sammy, I'll walk a million miles for one of your smiles, oh Sammy". Not seen him around for years.

The hole in the road was not demolished due to supertram it would have been filled in any way due to the regulations regaridng the increase in wieght for lorries on the roads . If the subway was to stay open the amount of internal strenghing would have meant that there wouldnt have been room for pedestrians.

In the early days when it was clean and we had the cash and a civic pride it was good however in latter days when it was dirty ,smelly and full of drunken idiots then it was best to avoid - and most people did.

there are enough holesd in sheffields roads without that one too.... :gag:

there are enough holesd in sheffields roads without that one too.... :gag:

Its the best hole that Sheffield has ever had.

The fish are long dead but my claim to fame is that that my relation provided those fish for that tank. good or what?:)

The Hole in the Road was great for many years but latterly it had become somewhat neglected. It must be the most famous place for meeting up with your girlfriend/boyfriend (near the fishtank) in the Northern Hemisphere. If it had been looked after (with a security presence) there would have been no problem with it at all.

The fishtank? - now that was just great!