Demise of Hole in the Road...commercial vandalism or what?

People derided the Hole in the Road when it was built. They derided the Hole in the Road throughout its life. Now the Hole in the Road has gone it's suddenly a great loss. That's nostalgia for you.

I always thought he hole in the road smelt of stale wee

(in the same way that the stairwells of EVERY multi story carpark do)

:|

As far as I am concerned the centre of Sheffield can close down. The Council has made it abundantly clear that the car is not welcome and if my car isn't welcome then neither is my wallet. I spend my money either at Meadowhall, or in Chesterfield which is far more friendly towards the private motorist.

Well done Sheffield City Council, nothing seems to have changed since the 1980s.

I like the centre of sheffield far more now that it is not dominated by the need to pander to the private car

If you prefer Meadowhall, well, I guess some people are on different wavelengths..

However, I do like Chesterfield......

I remember the Hole in the Road with great affection - the fish, the handy toilets and shops etc BUT it DID go down the nick and it was no bad thing it went. If only the Roxy and neighbouring tatty buildings go have gone with it.

I too remember the Hole if only, then, as a regular visitor to Sheffield. Thought then that the planners had had a collective nightmare! Cars above and pedestrians and shoppers underground when they could just as easily have had the shoppers where they should be and the cars running underground.

Quite apart from that, when it first opened it had failed to cater for people with iffy legs and the elderly in general. Pathways to get out had no hand rails. They were put in later — but only after the Council had received a few letters about how difficult it was for the elderly!

Regarding Meadowhall, I think it was 1990 when it opened. I was then working in Blackburn and recall that when a private company ran ‘trips’ for shoppers it was so popular that they had to put on five or six coaches every time it was advertised.

I remember the last few years of its life - sort of tolerated it as a pedestrian wanting to avoid traffic rather than actually enjoying it. The Sergelstorg in Stockholm city centre is how a hole in the road should be - photo

Edited by CheekyBandit

I remember the hole in the road.

One time back in the early 90's (around 1993 I think), I was coming home from college and there was a couple having 'Bill Clinton' style relations in there, if you know what I mean...........!!

It was dark and not a lot of people walking through there at the time, but I thought it was hilarious considering I was an impressionable 16 year old back then!!

Am I the only one that loved the "hole in the road"?

I thought it was great, a good meeting point(cos everyone knew it)and you could watch the fish in the massive tank set into the wall, several shops under there. It was only when the wino`s started gathering that it went down hill.

No, I liked the HITR and miss the fake T-Shirt selers and Wolf records were you could get some unusual music and t-shirts as well, I also miss the fish tank they should have something like this now in Sheff Centre.:(

Whatever you think of the Hole In The Road, it was something unique to Sheffield, something that gave the city a bit of character. In these days where nearly every new city centre development looks bland and anonymous, that has to count for something.

I think it's possible to do something like the hole in the road again in the future, but this time maybe better security or a indoor type centre with a underground aquiriam! That would be great and give a bit of character back to Sheffield.

I think town lost it when Rackhams closed. When TJ Hughes opened, it set the tone for the city centre, cheap and not very cheerfull.

I miss the fish and the Hawkers selling Fake Fila Shirts :hihi:

My mate Peter who went to Chaucer school with me used to sell them down there. Now he works in Asia ( probbly making them :hihi: )

During the day 'hole in road' was a cracking place to be but on the other hand during the night well i'd take me chances with the road.

They did this too with the road near Office world didn't they ?

________

Washington Medical Marijuana Dispensaries

Edited by Eric_Collins