Avery scales - Snig Hill

Hi I started work at Avery's at the end of August 1965 and served a five year apprenticeship there. Some engineers names remembered from that time include Bill Booth, Earnest Taylor and Frank Loveday. Some of the younger guys being John Cotton, Frank Stansfield, Brian Ashforth, And fellow apprentices Les Bonnington, Trevor Ford, John Raszka And Brian Sargent. The Indian Chap who was the storekeeper was, as I recall called Edwin. The company was involved in the sale, repair and service of various capacity of weighing equipment from chemists balances up to and including weighbridges. These were mechanical machines when I started work, the digital electronic stuff coming in some years later. My name is Keith, and it would be nice to hear from anyone else who possibly worked with me.

Hi I started work at Avery's at the end of August 1965 and served a five year apprenticeship there. Some engineers names remembered from that time include Bill Booth, Earnest Taylor and Frank Loveday. Some of the younger guys being John Cotton, Frank Stansfield, Brian Ashforth, And fellow apprentices Les Bonnington, Trevor Ford, John Raszka And Brian Sargent. The Indian Chap who was the storekeeper was, as I recall called Edwin. The company was involved in the sale, repair and service of various capacity of weighing equipment from chemists balances up to and including weighbridges. These were mechanical machines when I started work, the digital electronic stuff coming in some years later. My name is Keith, and it would be nice to hear from anyone else who possibly worked with me.

Hi Keith, I think you must have replaced me when I left to go in the building trade. I was paid £3 .2 .6p and an extra 2shillings and 6pence if I went our on the lorry to the weighbridges at Averys, in the building trade I got £6 .15s.

Edwin had a tattoo of Britannia on his inner forearm and was very interesting to talk to.

I remember going up to the switchboard room to collect the mail to take to The Wicker post office and having fish and chips in the small room at the side on a Friday.

One of the engineers had been in the Navy on fast launches in the war.

I went to Granville College for day and night school but left in th first year.

The cleaner came from Normandale Road ? Street on the Kelvin and one of the apprentices was keen on Speedway.

One evening a coach took us all to a dance the company had arranged, maybe Christmas. I wish I had a copy of the photograph the Star newspaper photographer took.

Linda married a fireman I think.

Happy days and who knows how life would have turned out if I had stayed ?

Phil.

Found this forum purely by chance and came across the Avery scales debate.

I was at Avery's the same time as you guys and we obviously know each other. Apprentice from 1965 to 1971 at Bridge street i remember the people your talking about. I left Avery in 1974 but maintained some contact with Avery engineers from Sheffield due to my new job. Do you remember the motorcycle shop across the road? We used to walk round it at lunch time, I think it was called Gray's. Kieth, do you remember the band we set up "The Sands of Time" wonder where Trevor the drummer is? Hope to continue the debate, Les

Hi Les Hope you are well, I have some good memories of our time at Averys.Remember the prank with the dummy that we threw off the roof, then hung it in the workshop. As regards Trevor, I had been looking for him for some time when I found him on Friends Re-united last year. Like me he now has a Facebook page if you want to look us up on either. I live in Rotherham, and Trevor lives in Herefordshire. We met up last year while he was up this way. We visited him in July this year, he hasnt changed much, just got older like we all have. I have tried your name in the search engine on Friends previously, but had no luck. Anyway, will finish for now, please write back. Keith

I worked there when I first left school in 1964/5 as a trainee engineer.

I didn't stay too long but will try and help you out with any info. I can remember.

I was there then too .............................well almost as my mum worked there as a typist she left because she had me

Keith, nice to know Trevors still around and ok. I'm not on face book but you can keep personal contact on e.bonnington@virgin.net. If you are in touch with Trevor you can pass it to him also. Really nice to hear from you after all these years. Maybe we could meet some time, my mother still lives in Sheffield although I am now in Ashbourne Derbyshire. Keep in touch. Yes I do remember the dummy it's one of the funniest things I remember from my time at Avery. What about the lead knife edges in the muffler and Frank Lovedays wet feet in the dry looking inspection pit that wasn't.

Hi Les, Great to hear from you again, I have made note of your e-mail address and will be passing it on to Trev. I will send you an e-mail to that address and give you my details there, it would be good to keep in touch, and when the summer comes round again may be we can arrange to meet up sometime. Best wishes Keith

Many years ago I used to go out with Frank Stansfield who worked at Averys and live up the Manor Top..........and would love to know what happened to him if any one knows?

Hi Karensun, I have just found out that Frank Stansfield is now retired. I was told this by another lad who worked with us both back then but I do not know any more than that.

brian ashforth is a very dear friend of mine so i shall tell him about this thread, Kieth whats your second name?

Hi Couture, Yes I worked with Brian for several years before being transferred to Avery's in Barnsley, which happened in about 1974. I remember throwing a few arrows with him in the Wincobank Arms (I think) in the afternoon when we were supposed to be working. Certainly tell him about this. My name is Keith Nicklin.

Hi Couture, Yes I worked with Brian for several years before being transferred to Avery's in Barnsley, which happened in about 1974. I remember throwing a few arrows with him in the Wincobank Arms (I think) in the afternoon when we were supposed to be working. Certainly tell him about this. My name is Keith Nicklin.

hi Keith, thanks for your reply, i rang brian earlier but he was out shopping so i will call him later at home, he sounded really interested and he often mentions the days at avery with fondness, speak soon.