Avery scales - Snig Hill

Hi Couture, Yes I worked with Brian for several years before being transferred to Avery's in Barnsley, which happened in about 1974. I remember throwing a few arrows with him in the Wincobank Arms (I think) in the afternoon when we were supposed to be working. Certainly tell him about this. My name is Keith Nicklin.

Hi keith still alive spoke to John Cotton this morning he dosn't know Franks number but we all met up last year at Brian Barlows funeral.Glad to know you are still going strong. Spoke to Eddie Hauge aswell he said he'd been wondering about you as well

Hi Brian, great to hear from you.Been trying to find some of the guys from back then, with some luck as well. If you look on page 1 of this thread you will see a user name of climber, thats Les Bonnington. Mick Stokes and I are both on Facebook, as is Trevor Ford. Trevor now lives and works in Herefordshire as a mental health nurse, myself and my wife visited him some time back, and he is getting married again in April. Myself and my wife Irene will be attending if possible. You mention Eddie Hauge in your post, but I am afraid I cant recall him, you will have to give me a clue as to who he is. Anyway Brian I will leave it at that for now, my best wishes to you. Please pass on my regards to John Cotton, or anyone else who knows me. Please stay in touch. Keith.

Now a memory tester.

Does anyone remember the evening function the Avery workers went to between July and September 1964 ?

A friend of mine Eddie Hague worked for Avery.

My late mum and dad both worked for Avery's - mum was a bookkeeper/ ledger clerk and left in 1960 to have me. My dad was apprenticed there before WW2 and went back after his war service until the late 60's, initially on scales, but laterly on the Testing ,machines side when they amalgamated with Dennison's. Him and his oppo (Doug Brown) used to cover an area from Leeds down to Derby and Nottingham in a little Ford Thames van as I recall, and when dad left to go to work at Totley college Doug was persuaded to stay on a few days a week even tho he was due to retire.

Reading back on this thread I'm sure I recall him talking about Frank Loveday, and mum worked with Roberta and Linda as well, and they kept in touch for years

I remember going into the workshop a couple of times as a youngster , and remember a shop window with scales in, and a set of large wooden doors as a vehicle entrance.

Still have dads 25year service gold watch, and wear it for special occasions Got loads of photos of him in group shots while on training courses at Birmingham

Edited by Allusadeedah
added name

39 minutes ago, Allusadeedah said:

My late mum and dad both worked for Avery's - mum was a bookkeeper/ ledger clerk and left in 1960 to have me. My dad was apprenticed there before WW2 and went back after his war service until the late 60's, initially on scales, but laterly on the Testing ,machines side when they amalgamated with Dennison's. Him and his oppo (Doug Brown) used to cover an area from Leeds down to Derby and Nottingham in a little Ford Thames van as I recall, and when dad left to go to work at Totley college Doug was persuaded to stay on a few days a week even tho he was due to retire.

Reading back on this thread I'm sure I recall him talking about Frank Loveday, and mum worked with Roberta and Linda as well, and they kept in touch for years

I remember going into the workshop a couple of times as a youngster , and remember a shop window with scales in, and a set of large wooden doors as a vehicle entrance.

Still have dads 25year service gold watch, and wear it for special occasions Got loads of photos of him in group shots while on training courses at Birmingham

I worked for Avery scales on Snig Hill when I left school in 1964 and so will have come across your dad.

I recall there was one man who had served in the Royal Navy.

I only stayed a few months.

Hi, yeah, my dad had served in the Med in WW2 - might have been him - he was a thin chap, bald and wore glasses. He found it hard to leave after all those years, but when head office just ignored his re-grading time after time it really got to him. The local manager was just as cross about it, and knew it was unfair, but I think by then branch managers seemed to carry  little sway. Not many folks had actually left to go to another type of career, and I think they thought they had a monopoly because there weren't many other options for weighing machine engineers, but I seem to recall quite a few folks left after that.

On 20/10/2010 at 22:01, harvey19 said:

We must have been there at the same time. I remember Linda and Christine from upstairs. I think Linda worked on the switchboard.Shirley was the MDs secretary I think

There was an Indian gentleman who worked in the stores underground. The MD was a big man who used to come downstairs and smash up the old machines with a sledge hammer. One day I went to see him with my overall sleeves rolled up, when he saw my tattoos he told me to get them scrubbed off.

Jock was the lorry driver.

There were 2 other apprentices as well as me but I can't remember their names or the names of the engineers.

A friend of mine worked there Eddie Hague.

30 minutes ago, bazza63 said:

A friend of mine worked there Eddie Hague.

Can't recall the name but it was a long time ago and I wasn't there long.