Avery scales - Snig Hill

Does anyone have any memories of this place or know of relatives who worked there?

My Grandfather worked there for a while after retiring from working on the trams and I'm eager to learn more about the place.

I recall the place, but I thought it was on the corner and was actually on Bridge Street.

My brother worked there in the 80/90s. He used to say it was on Bridge Street.

My apologies - so it is. It's probably because I always think of it as I'm travelling up Snig Hill and never give Bridge St a thought.

Can anyone tell me the nature of the work there?

If you mean the nature of the Avery business as it was, I believe they repaired and serviced electronic weighing machines (on site, and off) for trades and government departments, hospitals, post offices shops etc., and I think vehicle weighbridges as well.

According to my brother, it was a nice firm to work for, or at least he gave me that impression.

Hope this helps tiffy :thumbsup:

Ok - thanks for that.

I know somebody called Lorraine Troop who married a John Searle who worked there. Nice lass.

I used to know a bloke who worked there his name was Ken Youle from Owlerton.

Happy Days

The building is now known as Richfield House and is used by South Yorkshire Police as additional office space next to Headquarters on Snig Hill.

I used to work at Avery Scales in 1964/65...It is on Bridge St...I was a Wages clerk there. Ok to work there.

I worked there when I first left school in 1964/5 as a trainee engineer.

I didn't stay too long but will try and help you out with any info. I can remember.

I used to work at Avery Scales in 1964/65...It is on Bridge St...I was a Wages clerk there. Ok to work there.

We must have been there at the same time. I remember Linda and Christine from upstairs. I think Linda worked on the switchboard.Shirley was the MDs secretary I think

There was an Indian gentleman who worked in the stores underground. The MD was a big man who used to come downstairs and smash up the old machines with a sledge hammer. One day I went to see him with my overall sleeves rolled up, when he saw my tattoos he told me to get them scrubbed off.

Jock was the lorry driver.

There were 2 other apprentices as well as me but I can't remember their names or the names of the engineers.