Anyone changed career direction completely?

well, I'm studying for a law degree with OU. I've worked for myself before. Hard work! It's easier working for someone else!! Holiday pay etc.:D

At 27 I was fed up of driving a desk (various secretarial and sales jobs), so packed it all in and went to university!!

Three fun years later I graduated and managed to get my dream job as an archaeologist, that was four years ago and now I drive a desk again (my job changed)!

So I'm thinking of changing it all again - well why not - you only live once!

Go for it!

I just moved up here from London - jacking in a job i was doing for 7 years! Just came up because I was sick of London and I am loving getting to know this city. Funnily enough i am being a recruitment consultant which i wouldnt recommend but its a great way to see what sort of jobs are around and what the market is looking like - i am now considering looking into careers advice... what do you think?!

i know this job is a stopgap and i am considering my options. so many courses you can do. i want to get into conservation and there are several different routes to go via btcv or sheffield wildlife trust. i recommend getting onto the internet and trawling. there are great sites like charitysectorjobs.co.uk etc that have all sorts of unusual jobs.

i say go and do it - its scary and although sometimes i miss what i used to do i dont regret taking the risk at all. yeah!

I work in art, designing logos and things. The thing is i got real bored of the office enviroment as it wasnt for me. So im looking to change my job completley as im training as a plasterer and see what happerns from there.

I too was made redundant from the steel industry after 27 years ( God bless Globalisation ). Retrained as an IT Technician. Money just about covers essentials, but I'm as happy as a pig in the proverbial. Don't be scared of the move. (BTW I'm 44 you know!)

Has anyone here given up work and done something completely different?

I'm thinking of retraining and doing something I've never done before, so my CV shows that I've worked but is not much good for what I want to get into.

Advice and experiences would be appreciated...

apparently the most famous book to find a new direction is called: "what colour is your parachute by Richard Nelson Bolles. the workbook is extremely good, especially if you start from scratch. although i new what i wanted to do i still learned a lot which i can use for interviews...it just pointed out a few things that i was not really aware of at that time.

...maybe you can even find it in the library...

jen

My husband was 50 this year and reckons he'd be suffering a major mid-life crisis if he were still stuck in the dead-end admin job he gave up in his late 30's. We had some very lean times while he was re-training but if you're really committed to what you're doing you see it through - and that ought to look good on any CV! Anyway, most skills acquired in one form of employment are transferable even to a completely different line of work - just apply a little imagination with the presentation!

Mind you, we did have to move abroad to find employers willing to take on new recruits in their 40's....:rolleyes:

Thank you all very much for your posts - really helpful :thumbsup:

Hi weenireeni - not exactly, but I am getting my act together and actually doing something about it :)

Hi Piquant

I am just going through the same thing myself.

How is it going? Have you made a move yet?

I was a taxi driver for 35 yrs, didn't like it one bit,but it paid the bills.

Then 13 yrs ago a friend of ours intruduced us to KLEENEZE,didn't want to know at first,said NO! for 6 months,couldn't see how you could make a living at it.But decided to give it a go,nothing to lose.

Within 12 months we were earning more from KLEENEZE working 20-25hrs a week than 60-70hrs as a taxi driver.

I now just do the KLEENEZE BUSINESS,wish i had done it earlier.

http://www.kleeneze-hallmark.co.uk