Anyone changed career direction completely?

8 Years in the civil service. Been a Team Leader, 2nd Line Technical Support/DBA and a Researcher. Gave it all up in September 2006 for a new and fresh start over in Dublin. Best move I ever made, my parents can't believe the change in me :D

My advice is do it, if you don't you will always be wondering 'what if?'

Good luck :)

So what's the civil service like over in dublin then D2J? :hihi:

So what's the civil service like over in dublin then D2J? :hihi:

Wouldn't know mate, I work in the public sector now :hihi:

The hours may be longer but the benefits are better :D

Wouldn't know mate, I work in the public sector now :hihi:

The hours may be longer but the benefits are better :D

So you've gone from being a slave to the government to beign a slave to the man. Excellent :bigsmile:

Seriously though, not everyone has the bottle to change their life in such a manner so well on on going with the one you love and doing something you want to do. :thumbsup:

Hi my husband worked in the steel industry for 19 years doing 3 shifts mornings afters and nights when he got made redundant he used the money to do his driving instructor training best thing he ever did still works mornings and afters though.

21 years as a bank manager, now 8 years as a driving instructor. Wish I'd done it sooner

Its not instructors that turn out bad drivers or they wouldn't pass their tests. If you want to blame anyone, blame the examiners as its they who decide who is good enough to be let out alone. Having said that, the test is harder to pass now than its ever been.

Once they've passed, its out of our hands and they succumb to peer pressure. When they see supposedly 'experienced' drivers doing things, they think its the norm and they fall in line with them.

Attitude is the biggest problem and the only way to alter that is with regular re-testing for everyone.

But thats another thread................

I worked in the NHS for nearly twenty years- then studied for a degree and have been teaching in a secondary school now for almost ten years.

Teaching is tough- but you get the holidays and- no shift work!

Don't miss that feeling coming home from a night shift- at all!!

I was forty when I changed- so it's never too late folks!

Anyone had any experience of changing career direction, but it did not work out ?

What did you do ? How did you cope i.e. financially, status with friends, colleagues ?

These days, you seemed to be judged on your income or working status, especially perhaps when you are in your forties, when most people seem to be established/secure i.e. family, mortgage, etc.

Yeah go on do it.

I have been a hairdresser for 16 years and recently decided to change my career path to do something iv'e always been very interested in.

Dont hang around i wish i'd changed my job years ago.

Good Luck and if you decide to change don't look back( i havent):banana:

hi all,

continuing with this thread. What about if you are over 50 and want a new career. Future employers, etc.:rolleyes:

hi all,

continuing with this thread. What about if you are over 50 and want a new career. Future employers, etc.:rolleyes:

Simple .. work for yourself! :D What do you want to do?