Flyers on lamposts

I've got a little wasp in my wig (like a bee in your bonnet, only worse) and I thought I'd share it with the nice people on the Sheffield Forum. Now I've been in Sheffield for 3 months and generally I think it's smashing. The city has a thriving nightlife, which is one of the reasons I came up here. I lived in Brighton for 5 years and the vibe and energy reminds me of that.

I have noticed that some residents get really upset about the flyers for clubnights that are tied to lampposts around town. I've even noticed special council patrols going around and removing them. Maybe I'm thick, but I just don't understand. The nightlife is giving Sheffield a reputation and encouraging people to come and invest and work here. Why curb this activity?

Originally posted by "E-Man Groovin"

I've got a little wasp in my wig (like a bee in your bonnet, only worse) and I thought I'd share it with the nice people on the Sheffield Forum. Now I've been in Sheffield for 3 months and generally I think it's smashing. The city has a thriving nightlife, which is one of the reasons I came up here. I lived in Brighton for 5 years and the vibe and energy reminds me of that.

I have noticed that some residents get really upset about the flyers for clubnights that are tied to lampposts around town. I've even noticed special council patrols going around and removing them. Maybe I'm thick, but I just don't understand. The nightlife is giving Sheffield a reputation and encouraging people to come and invest and work here. Why curb this activity?

It's not just flyers relating to nightclubs that can't be posted. The by-laws prevent any fly posting on lamp-posts. It makes sense really cos otherwise the place would end up being covered with the things :D

Originally posted by "E-Man Groovin"

I have noticed that some residents get really upset about the flyers for clubnights that are tied to lampposts around town.

Personally I've no problem with flyers whether around lampposts or posted up. What I do resent is when they are left up after the event. Particularly annoying are the bits of plastic left on lampposts after the poster has been removed. These are usually placed at eye level and can be quite lethal.

So come on fly-posters, clean up your act.

Originally posted by "Andy"

I don't like them - posters on lamp-posts look tacky and make the city look dirty. The council should remove them and fine the nightclubs etc that put them up.

I don't mind em so long as the people that post em, use plastic tags rather than pasting em up. Then they should have people remove em after the event has finished!

I actually disagree. "Flyers" on lamposts are normally attached with plastic ties or string, are "nicely" designed and IMO look quite neat.

It's a much better way to advertise an event than handing out flyers (that get dropped) or pasting posters under the subways, etc... It's also quick to do. Events that only advertise a week in advance for a week at a time can't really successfully promote themselves in many other ways.

I think that the problem, as DaBouncer implied, is when the boards aren't removed after the event - or the plastic ties are left around the lamposts.

Originally posted by "Tony Ruscoe"

I think that the problem, as DaBouncer implied, is when the boards aren't removed after the event - or the plastic ties are left around the lamposts.

This is my main issue with them. These promoters are only interested in making money and not in keeping the city looking good. If they are going to put up fly posters and make money from us Sheffielders then they should at least clear up after themselves - having someone at the council clear up after them doesn't seem right.

Archived