The A-Level System

Originally posted by Skatiechik

Oh and next time you have a problem with me I told you to PM. Oops now I remember, that way doesn't involve getting noticed and seeking attention from other forum users.

Why didnt you PM him with that then? Seems slightly hypocritical, as you could have sent it to the mods as well. I understand that T020 has been suspended before, but you are certainly milking and provoking the situation and if he/she does get suspended again, I think you should too.

On the topic of re-sits though, a guy from my year repeated his last year of sixth form because he needed three A's and only got ABB.

Hull is actually a decent university, they let me in because i had an interview with them and they realised that my A levels didn't reflect my true ability.I know this isn't always the case and there are a lot of mickey mouse courses out there but i don't feel that i was enrolled on one.Sorry,i know this is slightly off topic,i just don't feel that A levels should be the be all and end all of a person's academic career.The government also realised there was a problem and changed the system to AS and A2 levels which in my opinion i don't believe is an improvement,there are also talks now of changing to the European Baccalaureate system.One day they might get it right.

Exams don't necessarily reflect a person's true ability full stop. Some people are better at coursework as there's less pressure and others are just better at the practical side of whatever they are learning.

But we have to measure attainment some way and exams are the largely chosen method.

You can't beat two years of learning with exams at the end to determine whether some one has learnt anything or not.

The new A Level system has meerly been created by New Labour to ensure that exam grade rise. Keep massaging the figures Tony, to populus can see through it now.

Best of luck in your exams by the way

Hmm a tough one really... I'm not sure whether its a good thing or not, this new system...

Having just sat my AS's, I feel fairly confident that I have worked to the best of my potential, however I don't feel as certain as I did for my GCSE's...

Anyways, time will tell :)

Originally posted by caprice

Hmm a tough one really... I'm not sure whether its a good thing or not, this new system...

Having just sat my AS's, I feel fairly confident that I have worked to the best of my potential, however I don't feel as certain as I did for my GCSE's...

Anyways, time will tell :)

I couldn't have put it better myself, seeing as we're both in the same situation....apart from maybe adding

ARRGH FAILURE!

I couldn't have put it better myself, seeing as we're both in the same situation....apart from maybe adding

Lol you won't fail... Judging by the way you can reel off Bourdieu's theories for sociology, you should be fine... Unless you had your text book next to you as you typed the post lol!

Sorry for dragging up an old thread, just read it and thought i would add my own opinion.

My school year was the first year to have the new AS/A2 system and if anything it was the reason why I am now trying o get my A-levels for the third time.

Traditionally (especially with the old A-level system) the change in workload from GCSE to A-Level is such a big shock that most students don't do very well in the first year, as they believe they can do exactly the same thing as their GCSEs and still get the same grades as they are used to.

Under the new system as AS levels tend to be easier and this means that Students don't get the realisation that they cannot just muddle through with no effort and still pass, this is what happened to me in the beginning of my A2 levels.

At least under the old system I would have messed up my first year (which didn't matter as I would not have any 'proper' exams) and sorted myself out to complete my A-Levels with no fuss like this time.

The reason I am finding AS/A2 OK this time is that I already know how hard A2 is and so getting into the habit of studying is less hard for me (still hard, I'm a lazy sod, always have been).

If anything, I'm sick of taking so many exams, I would rather have one and then it is all done.

Wilf