People in disabled spaces at valley centertainment

My father was disabled he suffered a massive stroke when he was only 51, sadly he has now passed away. My mother learnt to drive when she was 55 so they could get out.

To this day I get really mad when I see non disabled people park in disabled parking spaces.

I think they should be clamped and made to pay a release fee that goes to disabled charities. Also they should have thier photo taken and have it displayed in the local papers for all to see.

Paul - a very angry person

We are rehashing innumerable previous threads on this subject... (god! Talk about resurrectionists! i feel like burke and hare!)

although, if someone has been allocated a blue badge, by legitimate means, who are we to call them to justify it...:-

to take your points:-

deafness:- a) if you can't hear traffic approaching, and that's a danger, wouldn't it be safer to park where you don't have to walk through traffic? b) a lot of friends of mine with deafness have a vertigo problem (balance organ is located within the ear) and can't walk far...

...BUT as I clearly stated (and you conveniently ignored), this isn't the case...

...and the chap turned the badge down as a result...

...but the FACT still remains he was offered one, and any sytem that does that is seriously flawed...

...and no matter how you try, indefensible.

:rolleyes:

If you're not disabled and park in one of the spots, it would be poetic justice if you broke both legs as soon as you get out of your vehicle.

Quite, at least you can park legally ;)

...BUT as I clearly stated (and you conveniently ignored), this isn't the case...

...and the chap turned the badge down as a result...

...but the FACT still remains he was offered one, and any sytem that does that is seriously flawed...

...and no matter how you try, indefensible.

:rolleyes:

what is flawed?

and what is indefensible?

your thinking is flawed, IMO,

FIRSTLY:- where, and when was he offered a badge, and turned down? was there some prat, randomly walking around town, who walked up to him, and said *nudge* "psst, wanna buy a blue badge?"

To get a blue badge, you have to fill in a form, and apply. You don't just get them "offered" to you ..

To be eligible to be CONSIDERED for a blue badge, you have to fit certain criteria under the chronically sick and disabled persons act 1973.. (you have to be Chronically Sick or Disabled, and, preferably, in reciept of higher rate mobility allowance/ the Mobility component of DLA)

SECONDLY:- It's the individual's prerogative, to apply for a badge, or not as their choice may be, if they DO fulfil the criteria.

...FIRSTLY:- where, and when was he offered a badge, and turned down? was there some prat, randomly walking around town, who walked up to him, and said *nudge* "psst, wanna buy a blue badge?"

To get a blue badge, you have to fill in a form, and apply. You don't just get them "offered" to you ..

To be eligible to be CONSIDERED for a blue badge, you have to fit certain criteria under the chronically sick and disabled persons act 1973.. (you have to be Chronically Sick or Disabled, and, preferably, in reciept of higher rate mobility allowance/ the Mobility component of DLA)...

Yes, and he was told that he could have one...

..not by a bloke in the street, but by his Dr...

...PT, I thought better of you up to this point, but this continued avoidance of reality really does put you way out with some of the more odd forumers...

...just because someone has a disability, they are not beyond reasonable rules and/or debate.

The current system is fatally flawed, and over time more and more people will loose sympathy with it, if you doubt this you are foolishly misguided.

Would being deaf be classed as a disability? Or epilepsy?

I dont understand why people with disabilities such as these would need to park close to a door more than any other person who is not disabled?

I completely agree with having the spaces for people who would have mobility issues but, some of it can seem a little unfair.

A year ago I was hospitalised for a severe muscle spasm in my back. I could not stand, sit or move at all in fact. Still, one year on I have a lot of pain in my back every single day, I struggle to walk sometimes. Why should I not be able to park near the door of a shop to make my life a little easier too?

I'm deaf. and classed as disabled. but then I also have aspergers and mobility difficulties, so they class me as disabled through those as well.

foo, that's not what you said in your original post.

he was NOT offered one, he was given the chance to apply,

doctors don't give them out, all doctors do, is send supporting evidence (or evidence to the contrary) to the issuing authority,

who then make the decision as to whether the applicant is entitled to a badge or no.

so please don't give us half-truths, foo, and then lay into me when I point out the flaws in your premise.

foo, that's not what you said in your original post.

he was NOT offered one, he was given the chance to apply,

doctors don't give them out, all doctors do, is send supporting evidence (or evidence to the contrary) to the issuing authority,

who then make the decision as to whether the applicant is entitled to a badge or no.

so please don't give us half-truths, foo, and then lay into me when I point out the flaws in your premise.

There is no flaw in my premise, and you aren't in a court of law, so the absolute definative correct to the Nth degree statement isn't necessary (I could have lied at any point and said he already had one with a bogus reason, or I could have mentioned any number of other cases, but I'm not going to)...

...the truth of the matter is however that the current system makes it all too easy to apply for and get a blue disabled badge, and then use it to park all day (for yourself or relatives), for free in town while either doing a normal days work, or wondering round the shops in the city centre (for as long as you want), and if you look you'll see the bays in town full of such cars.

The system is an ass, we all know it !

You gettin' de-ja-vous PT, cos I know I am and not just with this thread, but most of the threads on here are being re-hashed and flogged to death.

So come on Munky, start an original thread that no-one has ever thought about before....The threads that come up again and again are obviously the ones that affect people's live the most and therefore justify more discussion.

Back on topic, I am happy to leave disabled spaces to those who genuinly benefit from them. Not so happy about the parent-and-child ones though - after all, you can choose (or not) to have kids - disabled people do not have any choice about their condition.

Yea, I work at Cineworld and it ALWAYS annoys the hell outta me when I see numerous boy racers just pulling up n parking in the disabled spaces so their gfs or whatever don't have to walk too far in their stilettos. Ok, so some disabilities aren't visible, but surely you would put up ure badge just so people know!

Lazy, inconsiderate gits!

you could also argue about the people that park in parent n child bays but obviously dont have any kids with them!!

...Back on topic, I am happy to leave disabled spaces to those who genuinly benefit from them. Not so happy about the parent-and-child ones though - after all, you can choose (or not) to have kids - disabled people do not have any choice about their condition.

Quite, everyone should leave the disabled spaces for those who genuinely need them, that includes those who have finessed a badge, or have one for a relative, but especially those who shouldn't be there at all...

...but on the "parent-and-child" spaces, I personally wish they were all labelled "Parent and Toddler", for clarities sake, and that anyone who didn't need the extra convenience of the space because they have a pram/babe in arms would keep out of them too.

If we all showed a little respect for the real needs of others this world would be a lot more pleasant place to live.