Anyone know relatives of Johnson played for Sheffield United

Hi

Does anyone know relatives of Johnson who played for Sheffield United.I think he died 2or 3 years ago.His wife was called Edith Singleton.I'm tracing the Maternal line of my family which brings me to SMITH!!!!.Edith's mother was my GT Aunt Laura Smith.

Many Thanks

Audrey

Hi

Does anyone know relatives of Johnson who played for Sheffield United.I think he died 2or 3 years ago.His wife was called Edith Singleton.I'm tracing the Maternal line of my family which brings me to SMITH!!!!.Edith's mother was my GT Aunt Laura Smith.

Many Thanks

Audrey

Looking at the sort of time you say he died, I'm assuming you mean Howard Johnson, born 17/7/1925. He was born in Sheffield, and was still alive at the turn of the century. He transferred to York City in the mid-50's. Possibly contacting the Lane and asking for John Garrett (Hall of Fame manager), Denis Clareborough (club historian), or Andrew Kirkham (programme contributor extraordinaire) may help your search.

Hope this helps.

Did they have a hairdressing salon on Derbyshire lane if so I was at ALLsaints school at thesame time as him

Hi

Thanks for the contact names at the lane,will be in touch with them.I dont know whether they had a Hairdressing salon,the family lost touch and with a name like Smith its very difficult to know if you're on the right track.I know Johnson's wife Edith had 2 brothers Harold and George and I think they were related to F Singleton Pearl Cutters on Arundel Lane.

Thanks to both of you for the interest

Audrey

The most famous Johnsons who played for United were the family that hailed from Ecclesfield. That is William Harrison Johnson (known as old Harry), and his sons Harry (always known as Young Harry) and Tom. Young Harry was a legendary centre-forward in the 1920s (he was in the last United team to win the FA Cup in 1925) and early 30s, Tom was in the 1936 FA Cup final team.

do any of the johnstons originate from lincolnshire - my family are darnall / handsnsworth johnstons late 19th century but origins in lincolnshire

do any of the johnstons originate from lincolnshire - my family are darnall / handsnsworth johnstons late 19th century but origins in lincolnshire

The family of footballers from Ecclesfield were called JOHNSON not Johnstone.