Why is Sheffield Forum Obsessed with Muslims?

I thought the stone age was a step forwards in Pakistan?

That sort of comment is out of order, really!

9/11 rang the bells of change!

Go to he who is the disbeliever and show him how harsh you can be!......aye I forgot which holy book that came from......it wasnt the bible though!

Shock and awe was the response to 9/11.

They should try to understand more about our culture.......rather than expecting us to understand more about theirs. This is England.

In England we expect to see the face of the person that we are addressing......facial expession says a lot. If veils are worn it only puts up a barrier. The English have never been a race to hide behind barriers.

Perhaps it is our ability to show our face to the world that has produced so many great English people.

Totally incorrect.......if that is true .....why is not USA at war with Saudia Arabia?

Ruby... we rest our case

Superlative B*P member?

He's got form as a troll and was banned for it a few days ago.

Says who ? Did the Queen write a manual ? How come I was never told that I have to keep my face 'open' so others can acknowledge me ? :rolleyes:

If you personally feel that a veil will stop you from interacting with the person, then say so. Don't say 'we', when you don't speak for everybody. (Yes, and the population is quite big. Doubt that you know everyone.)

Some people in other countries think the British people are arrogant so and sos. Look what happened to the US ! Have you ever thought that the way we're so open in discussions can be seen as intimidating, and arrogant to others ? Ahh... now there's a thought.

Well Ok no problems.....say me you say....fine.....I shall say it loud and clear. I shall NEVER EVER discuss anything of IMPORTANCE.... with anyone who.....HIDES BEHIND A VEIL. IT IS A FORM OF MALE OPPRESION FOR FEMALE MUSLIMS OF LOW INTELLECT ANYHOW. THE SMART ONES CHUCKED THE VEIL LONG AGO ANYHOW.

I'm with you on this one Rudydazzler, completely homophobic coment, by superlative

Are halibut bottom feeders?

I may agree with you but they are on our side in war aginst terror, and your comment's a betrayal of so called a friend, just like the british position regarded in general in rest of the world, simply decietful.

How do you always seem to think you know who's banned and who isn't? You're not hacking into the mods' private area are you? I don't really believe you, as you accused artisan of being banned a little while ago, and that was a falsehood.

I don't want to labour the point about this really, as, in Sheffield, I only ever come into very rare contact with one or two women wearing the full monty black outfit. East London is a different klettle of fish. The whole point to me, I'd feel more comfortable about it if they WERE foreign. Why and for what reason would a born and bred Yorkshire woman want to get dressed up like that? Hiding your face and identity is just plain discourteous and wrong. They get to see us but we don't get to see them. I don't like it, is all.

There's a lot of conflicting and half formulated ideas float through my mind on this issue and I think it's about time someone considered our feelings about this. On the one hand I do agree that everyone should be free to decide what they wear but on the other hiding your face can be seen as a threat, how do you know who's under there? Could be anyone, man or woman? I don't like masks and clowns either It makes me feel uneasy. As a product of my generation I also see it as demeaning and oppressive, as it's a one sided prescription and only applies to women. I suppose you could say the beard is also oppressive to men, but most Muslim males I come across are actually clean shaven ...

So you can see, it's not easy for me either.

Maybe in the future, more muslim women will wear the headscarves only and not the veil to cover their face if that is the case. Since it may just allow them to follow their own religion as well as be accomodating on a social level. Saying that, people are only open and accomodating when there are mutual trust, and not when there are threats, anger or antagonisms.

I too wouldn't be so vocal on the SF if I didn't feel at ease.

For me personally, I find out about people, religion or culture when I travel. Read books. I even read books on my own culture ! Since I've always been told I'm too Westernised. :rolleyes: Still, at the end of the day, I can't please everyone either. I can only be me. I'm sure there will always be someone who don't see me as British, and then there are those who don't see me as Chinese. It's not so easy as just 'adopting' a style, and that would be it. Identity is what a lot of migrants, ethnic minorities have to go through. In their own time too.

Ruby... we rest our case

Superlative B*P member?

Doesn't mean Superlative is a member of the BNP, maybe he is, thats his choice if he is.

The debate is about why britain is obsessed with Muslims, the problem is, is that some sections (may be a small minority) speak hatred about white people quite openly and nothing is done.

But as soon as a BNP candidate pops up, he is hauled before the courts acused of stirring up racial hatred

Doesn't mean Superlative is a member of the BNP, maybe he is, thats his choice if he is.

The debate is about why britain is obsessed with Muslims, the problem is, is that some sections (may be a small minority) speak hatred about white people quite openly and nothing is done.

But as soon as a BNP candidate pops up, he is hauled before the courts acused of stirring up racial hatred

Ahhh Bless, poor sauls, helpless and victimised, shouldn't

Tolerance and acceptance is what makes people be more open and understanding and therefore integrative.

QUOTE]

mmm... tolerance and understanding of other peoples cultures.

I wonder if I could openly admit to being a Christian in Iran.