Hagg house allotments

Hi Ed

Glad to see you might join us - the plots are not as much work as you might think. We got ours in August last yr and it now starting to resemble a real allotment (17 with the woven fences, next to Robs). I was ill for most of last year as well so visits weren't that frequent. I'd say give it a go. You don't have to do it all at once

Vic

I received the letter from the council regarding the Hagg House meet up today. Good work Rob.:thumbsup:

It doesn't mention where on Hagg House it is going to be held, I should have noticed that when proof reading it though:rolleyes:

It won't be hard to print off some notices to put on each row with the location details though.

I'll be there

Paul

It doesn't mention where on Hagg House it is going to be held, I should have noticed that when proof reading it though:rolleyes:

OK I blame you for not spotting that :hihi:

We can have it on our plot, the kids play area has a wall around it for people to sit on. That'll teach me to put my name on the letter :D

Do you know if you can make the ARI meeting? Be useful if someone goes, no pressure... ;)

I'll definitely be going to the ARI meeting, the form's filled in and the cheque written, I'll get around to posting it tomorrow.

I should be able to get hold of a large gas burner for the Hagg House meeting, so we can all have a hot drink whilst sat on your wall.

Paul

Hi there all, I'm looking at taking on a couple of plots on the Hagg Lane 2 site with some friends. I went down yesterday (Tue 13th) afternnoon at about 4pm and the ones that seem vacant are seriously overgrown with trees. Does anybody know if there are there rules about taking trees down and also what condition the soil might be in. I'm also interested in taking on some chickens :-) I'll be down again this afternoon if anybody is around.

Hi BusConsultan,

Pretty much all of the plots on Hagg House (Hagg Lane 2) were overgrown with brambles and trees 12 months ago. There were apparently only 3 or 4 being tended then. It doesn't take too long to get a plot looking respectable, especially if you have friends to help out.

The lease you have to sign does tell you not to cut trees down. But these trees have only appeared over the last 20-30 years due to neglect so I would just go ahead and cut them down so we can get the allotments to what they used to be like.

The soil must be pretty good, judging at the rate it has been colonised by shrubs and trees. Last year I grew potatoes, onions and garlic with no problems. Watch out for the rabbits though, they ate my lettuce and cabbage (I'll have fences this year).

I don't think anyone has chickens at the moment, but I'm definitely interested in having some and so is at least one other plot holder as well.

Regards

Paul

Plot 135 Hagg House

Ah the tree rule... Anyone know why they have that in the lease? It seems widely ignored on our site, with good reason. Probably something daft to do with health and safety, like the pond rule... Whatever happens don't tell them about us using tools on the site :rolleyes:

I'm completely baffled by how they decided a plot is 'out of commission' as well. Being covered in trees or being a complete bog doesn't appear to qualify as being out of commission, so what is? And I can't believe they've got any better ideas about the numbers down there than us so they're probably guessing which ones are not for letting :D

Thanks for the advice all, RobD nice to meet you yesterday and happy birthday again.

I'm going ahead and have sent in registrations for 4 (yes greedy 4) plots. There are about 8 of us that want to do them up (details on http://www.47-50.blogspot.com/). They are seriously a forest but hey nothing ventured nothing gained and it would be nice to get some of the challenging ones sorted. Hope to see you all down there or at the meeting on the 10th.

I'm completely baffled by how they decided a plot is 'out of commission' as well. Being covered in trees or being a complete bog doesn't appear to qualify as being out of commission, so what is?

Unexploded world war 2 bomb. :hihi:

Unexploded world war 2 bomb. :hihi:

There's a chance I guess :o - could help thin out the trees! My theory is the allotment officer was unable to get that far down the row during the last inspection :D