Settle my mind- what was that clinic(?)

Originally posted by Banksia

It was definitely Orchard Place Clinic. I rememeber going there with my Mum and baby sister. The baby would have a check up and then Mum would buy subsidised orange juice and Ostermilk formula. Mum could also get that horrible iron and malt stuff, the consistancy of treacle which we older kids had to take YUK !

Anyone remember that ?

Was this "Virol"? I had it and I gave it my son on my mum's recommendation. Lovely stuff! This was different from Cod Liver Oil and Malt. It was malt with some sort of vitamins and minerals added. You could dissolve it in milk warm milk, or give it from a spoon. I used to dip my son's dummy in it! (This wouldnt be recommended these days, but it kept him quiet!). We were both Ostermilk babies too!

I liked Virol. There was also Scott's Emulsion. Not quite so bad

as`pure' Cod Liver Oil. Also does anyone remember a clinic on Heeley Bottom during the war?

my sisters kids used to get their 'free' clothes there , itchy duffle coats and horrible jumpers

Mmmm, Virol, yummy, I loved it. Bet that why I'm a strapping big 7 stone now :D

My main memory of the Heeley Bottom clinic was that many kids had been plastered with gentian violet for impetigo.

I remember the clinic on Leopold Street it was also the childrens dentist I remember this huge guy forcing this big rubber mask over my face to knock me out

Could it have possibly have been Orchard Street. I remember seeing someting in the past few weeks regarding this. I will see if I can find it.

Meanwhile the Central Tech lads may be able to help.

i remember going to that clinic they held me down and forced malt extract down my throat,the very smell of malt now makes me vomit

I went there for my polio sugar lump in 1965. Nobody told me that I was supposed to crunch it up. It didn't half hurt as it went down..:(

I remember the clinic on Leopold Street it was also the childrens dentist I remember this huge guy forcing this big rubber mask over my face to knock me out

Think we must have had the same dentist, the memories of that rubber mask left me with a phobia of dentists, which lasted for years after.

And the horrible smell of the rubber mixed with the gas, even the taste of it used to get to you. :gag: