We will remember them. Rememberance Sunday 12/11/06

Mod note:

Unfortunately I've had to remove a number of posts. Please show due respect on this thread. My apologies for having to make this unwanted interlude but I won't be posting any more warnings.

Mod note:

Unfortunately I've had to remove a number of posts. Please show due respect on this thread. My apologies for having to make this unwanted interlude but I won't be posting any more warnings.

i cant believe i've just read this who would be disrespectful to people who fought and died for the rights of the people of britain and the rest of the world ????

i hope these disrespectful persons wont be able to post for a while

thank you Tony!

I don't know why my post was removed, it wasn't in any way disrespectful:confused:

I have the greatest respect for the courageous men who fought and gave their life for us, and apologies if my post offended anyone in any way, I really am not sure how it did though and it was certainly not intended:)

Although I have always had utmost respect for the soliders of World War One, ever since I studied WW1 literature at A Level, the atrocities of the war have being brought to my attention and I have become more interested in finding out as much as I can about the "great" war. I cannot begin to imagine what each soldier went through on a daily basis, and for four whole years! Trying to imagine the terror of soldiers before going over the top or the feeling of knowing your life could end at any moment is an impossible and disturbing task. Some of the things I have read upset and moved me very much, and I can assure everyone that I will be honouring the silence and encouraging everyone else to do so aswell:)

I think this poem encompasses the feelings of helplessnes and guilt felt by many soliders. The fact that it was written by a solider who experienced life in the trenches rather than someone years later who had no idea what it was truly like makes it all the more real and moving. (I realise by selecting a Wilfred Owen poem I am being extremley unoriginal!):

It seemed that out of the battle I escaped

Down some profound dull tunnel, long since scooped

Through granites which Titanic wars had groined.

Yet also there encumbered sleepers groaned,

Too fast in thought or death to be bestirred.

Then, as I probed them, one sprang up, and stared

With piteous recognition in fixed eyes,

Lifting distressful hands as if to bless.

And by his smile, I knew that sullen hall;

With a thousand fears that vision's face was grained;

Yet no blood reached there from the upper ground,

And no guns thumped, or down the flues made moan.

"Strange, friend," I said, "Here is no cause to mourn."

"None," said the other, "Save the undone years,

The hopelessness. Whatever hope is yours,

Was my life also; I went hunting wild

After the wildest beauty in the world,

Which lies not calm in eyes, or braided hair,

But mocks the steady running of the hour,

And if it grieves, grieves richlier than here.

For by my glee might many men have laughed,

And of my weeping something has been left,

Which must die now. I mean the truth untold,

The pity of war, the pity war distilled.

Now men will go content with what we spoiled.

Or, discontent, boil bloody, and be spilled.

They will be swift with swiftness of the tigress,

None will break ranks, though nations trek from progress.

Courage was mine, and I had mystery;

Wisdom was mine, and I had mastery;

To miss the march of this retreating world

Into vain citadels that are not walled.

Then, when much blood had clogged their chariot-wheels

I would go up and wash them from sweet wells,

Even with truths that lie too deep for taint.

I would have poured my spirit without stint

But not through wounds; not on the cess of war.

Foreheads of men have bled where no wounds were.

I am the enemy you killed, my friend.

I knew you in this dark; for so you frowned

Yesterday through me as you jabbed and killed.

I parried; but my hands were loath and cold.

Let us sleep now..."

I observed two minutes silence to mark Armistice Day at home. I have spoken to other people who were in supermarkets and Meadowhall when two minutes silence was observed. Apparently Meadowhall was quite an experience if you were there.

Well done everybody.

i was in meadowhall a couple of years ago it is very strange the whole place came to a halt people stopped and stood in complete silence there were a few people still moving but the majority stood in silence, it was very moving to see and spookly quiet in the normal bustle

In an earlier post, I referred to the seven hours or so I spent searching the archives at Kew, for my Grandfather’s army service details, to avail. Doing so, I went through all the surviving records of soldiers of the same name (George Howe).

In addition to remembering those who paid the ultimate sacrifice, my thoughts during the course of the last two days, have also been of a few soldiers of the same name, and their families.

Amongst the charred and tattered remains transferred on to and preserved on microfilm, I found the following: sobering and tear jerking documents, which I just have to share with others ( whilst recognising there is no link to Sheffield and this website);

A pitiful letter from a lady in Long Eaton, enquiring just how bad her husband (serving with the Notts & Derby Regt.)’s injuries were, as a result of being gassed.

A letter from a mother, trying to find out any details of her son being held as a P.O.W.

A telegram sent in November 1916 to a soldier from Plaistow (East London; who had probably already gone through four months of hell on the Somme), advising him that his 2 year old daughter had died of an illness.

But also documents relating to the arrest and subsequent court martial of a 30 year old man from Wandsworth (married with three children); who and was charged with being drunk and incapable after falling through the window of a chemist’s shop in Swindon, the night before being sent to France (Neuve Chappelle) in November 1915.

He was fined 4 shillings; but survived through it all, with a service record as long as your arm.

Good of you, fellow. After that, I think you are now due a pardon.

What is 2 minutes silence to us when people gave their lives! Watched the service with both sadness and pride as my step son was one of the servicemen on parade there today....extremely proud and lucky!!!!

Hello again everyone, here's as an update on the trip to France and Belgium and thanks Geocom for your good wishes. I have been to Ploogesteert, Plugstreet as the tommies called it, before and didn't anticipate any problems. Having stayed overnight in Calais, my wife and I left early to arrive at Ploogesteert Memorial for about 10.30am. where there was to be a Remembrance Service. We got to within a mile of the Memorial after a trouble free journey when we ran into it. No, not an accident, nor a traffic jam but a marathon, Ploogesteert bloody marathon would you believe? Thousands of people everywhere, roads blocked and the memorial on the start, finish straight. I should point out that Remembrance Services are held on the 11th day, not on the nearest Sunday. We eventually got there after seeing the funny side and applauding the marathon winner. After leaving our poppies and Tuppie's poem on the memorial, we did what all decent pilgrims do, went for a few beers.

Later we went to Ypres to find it well attended by ex Servicemen and women of all nationalities. The amount of wreaths and flowers at The Menin Gate was a site to see.

Thanks for listening to my little rant, we had a pleasant weekend.

PS. We found out later that the memorial service was held in the evening.

As a recent War Vet (1st Gulf War) I was at the memorial in town just after midday on Sunday. There were lots of people, of all ages and backgrounds, milling around and reading the tributes. There were a few older vets plus some young cadets in uniform. One or two, myself included, were shedding a quick tear for colleagues recalled. It was beautiful.

I have no objection to the "White Poppy" brigade, but for me the Red Poppy says it all. We remember with love, those who gave their lives, and we live in constant hope of a greater peace.

Nobody hates war more than those who are sworn to defend.

Well said Bushbaby. I too went to Barkers Pool and was pleased with the good turnout. One thing I noticed, considering we are supposed to live in a multicultural society,there were not many multiculturals present.

Hello Litlemermaid. What did you write that prompted the administrator to remove it? Perhaps you could let me Know via a PM. It is, after all, a forum.