Moving to Shire Green

This post is probably a bit late now as i have parted with my deposit now...

I have found a flat in Shire Green which was smaller than I would ideally have liked but defintely the best I have seen for the money. It seems like a quiet pleasant residential area and I did get a "safe" kind of vibe there which is very important as I will be living on my own and the area I live in currently is like the Bronx - not an experience I would wish to repeat!

Does anyone have any comments on the area - I will be living about five mins from Concord Park? I know its pretty close to Meadowhall but is it walkable?

Well Shiregreen is a bit rough... Might be ok in the day but try and avoid walking about at night.

Sony do you live on the Shiregreen if so where is the area to avoid because i live on the estate and i've never seen or heard of any areas you should avoid?

I've lived up here 38 years there are alot worse areas then the Shiregreen

A lot of worse areas than Shiregreen? Well thats says it all... Theres much better then..

Iv always lived in Shiregreen and surrounding areas and i love it that much me and my bloke have just baught a house there. i love it and have never had any bad experiences infact id say its one of the best council ex council estates to live on in sheffield. Its got meadowhallon one side of the hill and firth park on the oter, concord up the road shops and food places all over its got everything.

SO PLEASE DONT SLATE IT UNTILL YOU HAVE LIVED THERE!

Depends which part of shiregreen youre at as concord park covers

a lot of ground.

if youre at the flower estate which is also shiregreen, then route via jenkin rd or newman road, to walk to meadowhall.

but if youre at lower shiregreen near hartley brook area etc , then i suggest you drive or take the bus cos its no where near.

unless you walk the full length of ecclesfield rd via wooly woods.

which ever end youre at its a long long walk to meadowhall.

i lived in shiregreen for 3 years and had to move due to wanting a bigger property, otherwise we would still be there now.

we never had a problem whats so ever i lived woolley wood end and it was really nice, quiet and had really nice people.

as for the distance away from m/hall, just walk straight along ecclesfield road, take you about 20/25 minutes.

I've lived in firth park for 3 years now, and work in the area too. Shiregreen has a really interesting history, it was all fields and mostly used for dairy farming and racehorse breeding. Some of those families remain in or close to the area and horses are still very much a point of interest to a lot of local people.

The king who abdicated used to hang out here and buy horses.

Nowadays it is less green, but then its spitting distance to the countryside, you can walk to Wentworth on a fine day, and take a picnic, or just pop across woolley woods, ecclesfield bottom, and follow footpaths up to the Wortley Rd and the Bray plantation. Its a short drive to Grenoside and the woods there if you have a car. (If you want to shop M'hall is 5 minutes on a bus and about 20 minutes walk)

As with most areas, there are a few households which might be considered troublesome, and kids hanging around with nowhere to go. But I don't often meet people who want to move away, its really fairly quiet in most parts. For the most part people are friendly and honest, I came here from down south and thought it would be really hard to slot in, but really its been fine. I did join some local groups tho, and do some voluntary work so that's got me involved at a local level more quickly.

As for its reputation, I'd listen to the locals! Any area has its different elements, I worked in Sharrow for a while and frankly, in my opinion, Shiregreen has lots more to offer, is much better value, and has better facilities by far (and much less traffic). Also its getting a lot of regeneration money and stuff, like the 6th form college and other facilities.

Seems to be an area where property values are climbing too, so you may have made a good investment, but I'm no expert there. The local schools are really doing well and that's made the area more desirable recently.

Anyway best wishes and hope you settle in ok.

Well Shiregreen is a bit rough... Might be ok in the day but try and avoid walking about at night.

Spot on there... Having been seeing a Shiregreen guy for the past 1 year and 9 months, I have been in the area quite a bit. It's alright in the day, so long as you avoid the bottom end (Butter something or other estate) where we have had a few nasty experiences, but other than that you should be okay in the day time. I wouldn't go out at night though, even accompanied by my boyfriend, as its soooooo scary! No offence to any Shiregreen peeps, I'm sure you're lovely people, it just seems I run into the bad un's!

my mum and dad live at shiregreen but at what i call the good end.

near kinnaird and homestead etc.

I whole heartedl'y agree that butterthwaite road end is the pits.

anything going down from hartley brook shops- dont go there.

a shame cos years ago it use to be good.

Theres nothing wrong with the Shiregreen.

Its just a typical council estate.

I lived there for eight years and only moved caused of a relationship breakdown.

I had the best set of neigbours ever.

People I know and knew on there are good hard working folk.

Any area has bad parts its life.

My parents have just moved into a flat for the elderly, they bought there council house and have just made a provite that any body would be proud of.

Don't knock it till you've tried it!

Can someone name me the "good" and the "bad" parts of the estate please???