The WORST drivers, which cars do they drive?

the vectra driver this mornin goin up towards the parkway from mossy bypass , who thought he was banger racing when he tried to force me into the side of the road because i wouldnt let him in !! Get in the queue like everyone else pal .:huh:

Both lanes turn left into town from there anyway don't they?

Objective facts about time, distance and recommended gaps between vehicles :

Required 2 second gap at 70mph = 63 m. But this is front and rear, i.e. the gap between two vehicles must be at least 126m plus the length of your own vehicle (say + 5m = 131m) before you move into it even if all three vehicles are doing exactly the same speed.

If you`re doing 70mph and the vehicles on the inside lane are doing 50mph that`s a 20mph closing speed, which is 9m per second. So if you want to be in the inside lane for at least 20 seconds (to make lane changing worthwhile), the gap would have to be 20 x 9m (180m) plus 131m = 311m

Even if you`re one of those middle lane obsessives I assume you wouldn`t think people should swap lanes for less than 10 seconds, so we then have 10 x 9m (90m) plus 131m = 221m

But let`s say we had someone who was a pathological anti middle laner fanatic and thought it good driving to swap lanes for just 5 seconds*, we`d still have 5 x 9m (45m) plus 131m = 176m

* Question :

What is the point of swapping lanes for only 5 seconds if you can see there`s a slower moving vehicle ahead in the inside lane ?

How is someone going to have time to get past you and give you enough room to get back out again (you need a gap of 131m remember) in only 5 seconds ?

If you`re doing 70mph and the overtaker is doing 90mph (totally illegal and I`m sure you`d get prosecuted for that) the speed difference is 20mph, which is 9m/second. So, even if the overtaker could instantly accelerate to 90mph (which is totally impossible), he`d still take 14.5 seconds (131 divided by 9) to get past.

So the answer is it`s totally pointless (assuming the traffic is maintaining the recommended distances between vehicles, and if they`re not that`s rather more serious than a driver possibly staying in the middle lane too long).

But that won`t stop obsessives arguing that it is.

QED

Jesus, either use your bus pass or get yourself on an advanced driving course.

I prefer to debate objectively wherever possible, which is what I did in the quote above. So, apart from being personal, are you saying you understood the figures, or you didn`t ? If you think they`re incorrect, please point out where.......

Both lanes turn left into town from there anyway don't they?

It goes from 2 lanes to 1 before splitting into 2 again..maybe the poster means at the first pinch point.... but what's the problem with "merge in turn".

It goes from 2 lanes to 1 before splitting into 2 again..maybe the poster means at the first pinch point.... but what's the problem with "merge in turn".

I think we are talking about a different roundabout - that's the one at umm coisley hill? I was talking about the next one where it joins onto the Parkway.

And of course theres no problem with merge in turn as you say apart from the thick git "Ive waited so ill make life awkward for you" mentality...

I think we are talking about a different roundabout - that's the one at umm coisley hill? I was talking about the next one where it joins onto the Parkway.

And of course theres no problem with merge in turn as you say apart from the thick git "Ive waited so ill make life awkward for you" mentality...

I think it's the right roundabout..going up to the Parkway from the r/a at Coisley Hill..? There's 2 lanes going up the hill,these merge into 1 and then split into 2 again at the top.

There seems to be some digression from the OP here! Let's get right back on track and say that there is no definitive brand/model - it's always down to:

the NUT behind the WHEEL! :D

Bimbo girly types in minis (not the skirt) with pony tail pulled out of back of baseball caps.

Thick and arrogant, a dangerous combination

Is that male or female girly types as I've seen both with baseball cap / pony tail combinations?

There seems to be some digression from the OP here! Let's get right back on track and say that there is no definitive brand/model - it's always down to:

the NUT behind the WHEEL! :D

Obviously it`s the NUT behind the wheel, it`s also true that for no make or model of car are all the drivers (or even most of them) bad drivers (excluding Audi R8s). But it`s also true that some makes of car are over represented (in the instances of aggressive driving) relative to their numbers on the road. I`m certain of it.

What do you drive Justin? As I'm sure we've all seen an idiot driving a car that's the same model as yours too.

You seem to spot a huge number of bad motorists; I suggest getting a dashcam, create one of those compilation of bad driving YouTube videos and monetise your experience.

Mr Mondeo Man used to be up there in the 1990's when every business rep had one. That has since changed to 3 series/A4 drivers dominating the highways in a poor driving manor.

I reckon it has been mentioned in this topics but I find women I'm small city cars the most dangerous who are faffing about either on their phones or listening to music excessively loud.

Big, ugly things. That could quite easily knock someone over.

Well yesterday I was cut up on a roundabout exit by an old BMW, then a small city car style thing refused to merge as 2 lanes changed to 1 and forced past, and finally an SUV went the wrong way at the bottom of Queens Road into oncoming traffic before an emergency swerve, fortunately I hadn't set off quickly and wasn't at the side of him.

It's bad drivers, putting those people in different cars wouldn't alter their abilities.