The WORST drivers, which cars do they drive?

I beg to differ. What possible definition could be more important ? I can`t think of one..

I can.

The system of car control is a way of approaching and negotiating hazards that is methodical, safe, and leaves nothing to chance. It promotes careful observation, early anticipation and planning and a systematic use of the control to achieve maximum vehicle stability.

The System promoted is Information gleaned from Observation and Anticipation that result in Planning, Speed, Gear and Acceleration.

If you have not had an accident for those length of times, you could be a safe driver, or you could be a lucky driver. If that's your metric on judging your driving ability and your only metric then you are probably a lucky driver, and luck will eventually run out.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 12:05 ----------

so long as I`m going to be in it for more than 20 seconds.

So that's you admitting to lane hogging then... which isn't really the mark of a good driver...

I beg to differ. What possible definition could be more important ? I can`t think of one.

You`re misquoting me yet again, I`ll answer this point then put you back on my ignore list because, not for the first time you`re getting tiresome and arguing with shadows just for the sake of it.

I have never said I hog the middle lane, I have actually stated, numerous times in fact, that I prefer driving in the inside lane, so long as I`m going to be in it for more than 20 seconds.

Can't recall using that one in my commentary during my advance driving course! " I am adopting a position in the inside lane as I believe that I may be here for 20 seconds or more"

Advance driving is all about formulating a driving plan which constantly changes in regards to speed, position, observations, traffic conditions,weather and a host of other potential obstacles perceived through use of said observations.

Edited by monkey104

That's a substantial gap to wait for before moving over to the inside lane. It sounds like classic hogging behavior.

I don`t think expecting to stay in the same lane for 20 seconds is unreasonable at all. The actual figures are here.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 13:46 ----------

Sexism now too huh? You just keep digging Justin! :hihi:

Also, confirmation bias is almost impossible to eliminate as it's often totally subconscious, hence the double blind requirements on many tests.

It`s not sexist to say that women are safer drivers than men, it`s just an objective fact. Their insurance was lower, the ultimate proof. I`m well known for my pro EU stance, but the EU ruling that insurance companies couldn`t charge women less than men was just about the most ridiculous thing they ever decreed on.

Having said all that, there are more and more aggressive women drivers on the roads these days. It`s no longer the case that I see an aggressively driven car, discover it`s a women driver, and am surprised. Well OK, I`m a bit surprised, but not as much as I used to be.

I don`t think expecting to stay in the same lane for 20 seconds is unreasonable at all. The actual figures are here.

Ah yes, that is funny reading.

Remember how you've doubled the breaking gap by pretending that you have to somehow apply it behind you as well. It's like genius level idiocy.

Required 2 second gap at 70mph = 63 m. But this is front and rear, i.e. the gap between two vehicles must be at least 126m

The two second gap has become a 4 second gap, just because you say so.

---------- Post added 19-01-2017 at 08:36 ----------

And don't forget how you started that thread.

Lets` face it, whether you`re a "middle lane hogger" or not must surely depend on the speed you`re driving at ?

You started it by making a claim that you weren't middle lane hogging if you were driving at the speed limit.

And this gem

The Motoring Mafia considerate it a unpardonable offence, possibly the motoring habit they hate the most, to drive in the middle lane "semi permanently" even if driving at the speed limit. Apparently, amongst other things, they (wrongly) think it turns the 3 lane motorway into a 2 lane motorway.

You claim to drive differently now. You claim that you'll move over if you can stay left for 20s or longer. But you spend a very long time saying that you didn't need to move left if you were doing the speed limit, and I wouldn't be surprised if you don't still drive like that.

Repeated it again though here

If a car is doing the speed limit I don`t really see that it matters what lane they`re in and, in fact, how long they stay in it, because, by definition, no vehicle should be overtaking them anyway.
Edited by Cyclone

I think the Audi/BMW thing has been done to death nowadays hasn't it? I think we've all come to realise, well, most of us anyhow, that the problem with Audi/BMW drivers is that they represent success and it really annoys some folk and makes them feel inferior and jealous. That's why they get hated so much. The problem is not with Audi/BMW drivers - it's with the ones doing the hating.

Of course it's impossible to say which drivers are the worst, based on the cars they drive - because most drivers drive, or have driven, many different brands of car. So the car changes, but the driver stays the same.

However, there are some warning signs that I look out for:

Hot-hatchbacks - driven by young kids wearing baseball caps

White-van man - could be Astra Estate - could be Ford Transit - doesn't matter, but works vans driven by aggressive men, unhappy at being stuck in a menial job and possibly their home relationships too - and taking it out on all around them

Anything Subaru-ish - people who put aggressive styling and speed before classy styling and luxury

Nissan Micra - I didn't think it would be possible to name one specific model of car that is a problem - but it is. The Nissan Micra. Pride of the elderley. Pensioner chariot. There are a lot of 70 or 80 year old folks in our area, driving these little cars. They seem to come out in force on a Sunday especially. And frankly, they shouldn't be on the road. Many seem to have lost their faculties and are a real danger to everyone else, pedestrians and other road users. Not against old folks driving a car, but they should be tested regularly to make sure they are safe.

Fiat 500 - Popular with the ditsy hairdresser/beautician type. Very unpredictable drivers, so it's best to stay as far back as possible.

Audi A3 - Popular with chavs and wannabe gangsters. Usually comes with tinted windows, black alloys and a modified exhaust to give the impression that it's much faster than it is.

Black Cab - No explanation needed.

Worst drivers drive bicycles.

On the other hand, drivers who also RIDE bicycles are generally good drivers.

I might be able to add some evidence into the mix if I knew the marque and model of the car that breached the wall at Fox House this week ... but all I could see from the road was the car's roof (under-carriage against a tree).

Edited by DT Ralge

The worst drivers have nothing to do with the cars they drive.

The worst drivers are those who don't follow the Highway Code and have no respect for other drivers.

The worst drivers have nothing to do with the cars they drive.

The worst drivers are those who don't follow the Highway Code and have no respect for other drivers.

I think we can all agree with the latter. The question is does the type of car people drive make any difference on the average ? I think it does, but only on the average (apart from Audi R8 drivers).

---------- Post added 20-01-2017 at 09:52 ----------

I think the Audi/BMW thing has been done to death nowadays hasn't it? I think we've all come to realise, well, most of us anyhow, that the problem with Audi/BMW drivers is that they represent success and it really annoys some folk and makes them feel inferior and jealous. That's why they get hated so much. The problem is not with Audi/BMW drivers - it's with the ones doing the hating.

Of course it's impossible to say which drivers are the worst, based on the cars they drive - because most drivers drive, or have driven, many different brands of car. So the car changes, but the driver stays the same.

However, there are some warning signs that I look out for:

Hot-hatchbacks - driven by young kids wearing baseball caps

White-van man - could be Astra Estate - could be Ford Transit - doesn't matter, but works vans driven by aggressive men, unhappy at being stuck in a menial job and possibly their home relationships too - and taking it out on all around them

Anything Subaru-ish - people who put aggressive styling and speed before classy styling and luxury

Nissan Micra - I didn't think it would be possible to name one specific model of car that is a problem - but it is. The Nissan Micra. Pride of the elderley. Pensioner chariot. There are a lot of 70 or 80 year old folks in our area, driving these little cars. They seem to come out in force on a Sunday especially. And frankly, they shouldn't be on the road. Many seem to have lost their faculties and are a real danger to everyone else, pedestrians and other road users. Not against old folks driving a car, but they should be tested regularly to make sure they are safe.

No, you`re definitely wrong. I don`t give a toss how much money people have, provided they pay their taxes, obviously. German cars are overrepresented in the aggressive driver stakes relative to their numbers on the roads.

As for your observations of young men in sporty hot hatch backs, yes you`re definitely correct there. Subarus are also often driven aggressively / too fast.

Vans ? Yes you may have a point there too, and those particular drivers have even less excuse. The bigger the vehicle you drive, the more of an obligation there is on you to drive safely. I actually think there`s an argument that the punishments for dangerous / risky driving should be higher for larger vehicles*, and lower for things like motorbikes which don`t usually kill anyone.

* For example, truck drivers caught using their mobiles should get an instant 3 month ban. Car drivers should get 6 points on their licence and a big fine.

Edited by Justin Smith