Traffic lights on Motorways

we've got them at our junction too, j35, and we're waiting to see how theses things are supposed to work. surely you need to be going almost 70 mph to get on motorway, if you're sat at lights you'll be quite slow getting on motorway, plus the traffic will end up backed up to the roundabout!? it doesn't even get that busy that people can't get onto m1 so it just seems a big waste of time and money to me!!!

surely you need to be going almost 70 mph to get on motorway, if you're sat at lights you'll be quite slow getting on motorway, plus the traffic will end up backed up to the roundabout!? i

The lights are only in operation when the motorway traffic is stacked up or quite slow. It makes sense if you come off a roundabout, speed up to 70mph on the slip road right into a queue of traffic!

The backing-up of traffic onto the roundabout was a concern of mine as well, but it doesn't happen. The sliproad lights are tied into the roundabout ones.

The lights are only in operation when the motorway traffic is stacked up or quite slow. It makes sense if you come off a roundabout, speed up to 70mph on the slip road right into a queue of traffic!

Why would you speed up to 70mph on the slip road if the traffic you are joining isn't doing 70mph?

The idea of the slip road is to allow you to match the speed of the traffic you are joining, if the motorway is stacked and queueing then you just need to filter in turn, just like every other motorway junction which becomes busy.

Why would you speed up to 70mph on the slip road if the traffic you are joining isn't doing 70mph?

The idea of the slip road is to allow you to match the spead of the traffic you are joining, if the motorway is stacked and queueing then you just need to filter in turn, just like every other motorway junction which becomes busy.

Thats the idea 40summat, but alot of people do speed on the sliproad to build up pace to join the traffic on the motorway. Even during heavy traffic...hows it supposed to help traffic flow?... If traffic flow is that bad then like all other roads with traffic lights - theres still going to be queue's and drivers jumping lights, pushing in etc...

I think it's just going to cause more mayhem.:(

The backing-up of traffic onto the roundabout was a concern of mine as well, but it doesn't happen. The sliproad lights are tied into the roundabout ones.

but there are no traffic lights at junc 35 on the roundabout

The idea of the slip road is to allow you to match the spead of the traffic you are joining, if the motorway is stacked and queueing then you just need to filter in turn, just like every other motorway junction which becomes busy.

Thats the theory, but you can almost guarantee some bugger doesn't want to take turns at letting you in

Heard earlier that the traffic lights on the M1 are starting up tomorrow - happy driving all you people! I won't be going anywhere near them so let me know how ya get on. I'm intreagued to know if they really do help the flow of traffic or not.