Traffic lights on Motorways

Probably best just to ignore them and go through anyway.

But if these lights are only going to be active (IE red) when traffic speeds have dropped significantly, to perhaps 30mph, then they will help.

I can't really imagine that they'd just put them in without trialling them first (which they have done, as pointed out) and getting positive results

Perhaps it's to enforce the fact that the end of a sliproad is in fact a Give Way and it's not your automatic right to join the carriageway no matter how fast you're flying down the sliproad and how much you believe everyone should move lanes to let you in :thumbsup:

I Agree with BobsGirl

at least it will slow them down instead of flying down the slip

road and expecting other motorists just to pull over

when sometimes they have nowhere to go,

we have had many a near miss with this when pulling our caravan

cars flying down and pulling in the front of us not giving us a chance

to try and move over,or not even care if we can or not.

M18 Jct being the worst for us.

as long as they get on ...stuff anyone else..

then us breaking hard with the caravan in tow,causing all sorts of mayhem

behind us.

instead of taking there foot off the excelerator and dropping in behind us

but oh no they dont want to be behind a caravan..

not even till they can move over.which usually isan't' long.

not forgetting lorries and trailers and caravans

are not allowed in the end right Over-Taking Lane.

so if one or the other are Over-Taking at the time and someone

flys on and into the middle lane, which they usually do..

we have no where to go....

i think its a good idea, as i think All roundabouts should have traffic lights,

to be used at rush hour times, at least that way everyone has a chance..

Probably best just to ignore them and go through anyway.

so are you a driver Meaks.?????

then one wonders why accidents happen.

we have had many a near miss with this when pulling our caravan

cars flying down and pulling in the front of us not giving us a chance

to try and move over,or not even care if we can or not.

You should pull out into the middle lane before you reach the slip road in anticipation of this happening and then traffic coming down slip road doesn't need to slow down. It's inconsiderate of you as a typical shed dragger to expect everyone to slow down and speed up again when it's unneccessary.

OMG I did not know Jeremy Clarkson was a member of this forum, I thought it was just sensible people on here!

there is also one on the rotherham junction on the a629 at bottom of slip road southbound towards meadowhall junction 35 of m1

There are a new set of these lights on J18 M6 N/B and they seem to work OK.

The 'cycle-rate' is very fast- about 4 seconds at red, then 4 at green.

As has been previously stated- they only come on when the traffic flow on the motorway is extremely slow.

I saw the lights at the bottom of J35 (southbound) when I was travelling northbound to barnsley the other day.

I just don't get it... If the traffic's slow anyway, why do we need traffic lights to say when we can/can't join the other queues of traffic?

I think the best I have seen is, for example, J34 at meadowhall - where the road is 2 lanes and those coming off the sliproad automatically join the motorway as the 3rd lane.

I've heard they'll be working from the middle of this month onwards... The ones I've seen are at the bottom of the sliproad off the Parkway onto the M1 South.

Cant really find any more info on these, but will it really help traffic flow?.. That bit of the M1 always seems to be more congested than anywhere else around Sheffield, I just cant really see how it's going to help ease the flow. Wont traffic be backing up to the roundabout then?

mY thoughts as well, i use the M1 south J33 every day at 7.30am and the traffic just to get onto the roundabout is bad enough, but to add traffic lights to a motorway is just crazy :loopy: :loopy: , tho i am wondering if they are actually allowed to put traffic lights onto a motorway?? as its officially a motorway from the top of the roundabout. Would be interesting to find out!!

Every motorist knows that, of course, it will create tailbacks.

But it's the politicians, the councillors and their planners - 'people in the know' - who proclaim, nay insist, that it will have a positive effect on traffic.

(In other words, it's another thinly veiled attempt to bludgeon us out of our vehicles onto ..cough... 'public transport'.)

It's almost as mad an idea as traffic lights on roundabouts...