Traffic lights on Motorways

Well not exaxtly on the M1 but at the bottom of the slip roads at the 2 Wakefield Junctions (Northbound). They are not in use yet but does anyone know what the idea is?

Well not exaxtly on the M1 but at the bottom of the slip roads at the 2 Wakefield Junctions (Northbound). They are not in use yet but does anyone know what the idea is?

I was wondering the same thing when I saw them. Maybe they are to control the traffic as it gets really busy because of the M62? :huh:

maybe it is an animal crossing or something :hihi:

I was wondering the same thing when I saw them. Maybe they are to control the traffic as it gets really busy because of the M62? :huh:

I assume it sto do with this as this is where the traffic snarls up every morning, but i cant see how these lights will alter anything. Traffic stopping at them will not be able get up to any speed before they join the motorway and (if the traffic is moving fast) will slow it down. If the traffic is snarled up theres no point in them anyway??

Just in case theres a hidden agenda......On Sept 29th Magistrates in Sheffield imposed a £300 fine for 62 MPH on M1 upper viaduct at Tinsley 1.30 am ish Sunday morning based solely on the word of 2 police officers who could clearly remember where the road works started and ended but couldnt provide the real time in car video.

If any of these 2 police officers can clearly remember u crashing a red light on a motorway make sure u have £300 to hand incase u r tried in Sheffield where we clearly have impartial magistrates upholding road safety and not in any way part of the tax collectig regime.

maybe it is an animal crossing or something :hihi:

Like a zebra, or some other species (avian)?:D

They have these ramp metering traffic lights on the M27 and they do work to an extent....

For example, one junction had a sliproad that cars could get some real speed down, they would then fly across 3 lanes of traffic to get to the outside lane. This caused the cars behind them to brake and created a domino effect, bringing the motorway traffic to a hault further down the road.

With the lights working, the cars are forced to wait at the bottom of the slip road before being released. These cars only then had enough space to get up enough speed to join the inside lane, plus they could only join in chunks rather than 1 continous queue of traffic. This used to reduce the congestion on the motorway slightly, so i guess they do work IMO.

Problem is that cars joining in larger groups will lead to sthe same problems as they do at busy juncion like the M1/M18 and the M1/M62.

From a slight problem with a small number of bad drivers to all vehicles joining causing a tailback.

That and it will be hard to speed match as you join making it more dangerous.

They have these on the M6 at J9 N/B also.

They only come on when the traffic speeds are low due to congestion.

The idea is to regulate the flow of joining traffic into 'chunks' so that the 2 lanes can sort themselves out & blend into lane 1, with everything still moving, albeit slowly.

They work OK there, presumably.

They have lights on the northbound slip road on J29 of the M1 too.