HMS Sheffield MOD Board Inquiry published

I remember the day Sheffield was sunk. I was in the parson cross hotel when a buddy of mine called Tivvy told me the Sheffield had sank. I thought he was taking the wee-wee.

I remember the day Sheffield was sunk. I was in the parson cross hotel when a buddy of mine called Tivvy told me the Sheffield had sank. I thought he was taking the wee-wee.

My local the parson cross for 20 yrs tillI moved.

You might know tivvy then, used to work for the water board and lived in deerlands close. I was brought up on holgate ave.

You might know tivvy then, used to work for the water board and lived in deerlands close. I was brought up on holgate ave.

Yep sure do as I told you in PM good lad loves the owls ,he knows me well.

This is intersting,I bet I know you.:thumbsup:

I didnt go into the cross often but i was pretty well known around the cross... at least i like to think i was :D

I know many people on the cross anyway better get back on topic or we will be in trouble.:hihi:

Is this an inquiry that's only just reported, or is it the report of an '80s inquiry that's only now been declassified? It's not clear from the article.

I note that the BBC mentions that some facts are missing from that report — and those facts are the most important to the real story of the sinking. Having served in the R.N albeit many years earlier, I cannot believe that the Sheffield’s crew was not adequately trained. What I can believe — and what is not in the report — is that only one officer (not the ship’s captain) was authorised to give the order to retaliate before the missiles hit the ship, and he was not at his station.

There’s not much point in speculating on an incomplete report. All the facts need to be published, not just a few.

Quite suprising at this report into the apparent lack os readiness of the crew of our ship to engage in war.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/6111500.stm

Maybe those lives could have been better protected with better training?

That'll be Mr Weston with the face on :mad:

I note that the BBC mentions that some facts are missing from that report — and those facts are the most important to the real story of the sinking. Having served in the R.N albeit many years earlier, I cannot believe that the Sheffield’s crew was not adequately trained.

When was the last time prior to the Falklands a British Navy ship was engaged in a real battle? I wouldn't have thought all the training on earth can really prepare anybody for the reality of warfare.

Wasn't the ship made of a highly combustable material at relatively low temperatures, therefore once it caught alight it was always in trouble?