Sign in to follow this  

Moving to Sheffield

Hi

I wonder if anyone out there, who could tell me about pitsmoor. I live in london on a estate. I have a spacious 4 bed council house, I like the house but not the people. I have being looking to exchange, either in or outside london. I have an offer of a 5 bed house in pitsmoor, it sounds nice. But I have read a few topic on this area. From this site, which istn't good. can anyone give me some more advice on the area. all replies will be appreciate. Many thanks

Hmmm O.K phonenix my advice is this.

I know Pitsmoor very well and was brought up there in the 60s and 70s.

It was a nice place live then but deteriated in recent years like most council estates these days.

Now you have been offered a 5 bedroom house, now that will be one of the old victorian houses on Nottingham Street or Andover Street areas and wait for you to confirm an address so i can update you on the exact position.

The houses are good solid houses and are worth considering as they will outlast you and me.

The area however is a different matter.

Pitsmoor is a large council estate very close to the city centre, about a mile or so but far enough away to not feel like you are in the centre, if you know what i mean.

Its landscape is hilly and maisonetes and flats dominate the area which are all due to be demolished.

The area i believe is to be landscaped and not built on in the future because nobody wants to live there and thats because of the high crime rate in the area.

Drugs are the main problem, followed by muggings and violant crime.

Now if i have painted a grotty picture of the area then remember that most if not all of Woodside part of Pitsmoor will be no longer very soon so that could be a big improvement for you in the part where the big houses are.

There is of course another side to Pitsmoor called Burngreave.

Now that is highly populated and the crime rate there is just as high as Woodside but the area in my view has pockets of decent housing.

Don,t be put off as you need to look at the area for what it is, and there is also a lot of reasonable council areas near by.

All the pubs in Woodside are now gone but theres a select few in Burngreave and the top side of Pitsmoor to choose from.

I need to know where abouts you have been offered so i can paint an exact picture of what to expect.

i,m here to help.

Hi Cyckeracer

Thanks for responding. The name of the road is Brunswick, hope this helps. I also have small children, so if you can give me any advice on sheffield for kids. That 's the main reason for moving, as my husband and i would like so more space and greenery for the kids. You mention that there is a lot of violent crime in the area, what type? Also what are the people like, from what I have been reading from this site there seem friendly and helpful. look forwards to your comments.

Originally posted by "phonenix"

Hi Cyckeracer

Thanks for responding. The name of the road is Brunswick, hope this helps. I also have small children, so if you can give me any advice on sheffield for kids. That 's the main reason for moving, as my husband and i would like so more space and greenery for the kids. You mention that there is a lot of violent crime in the area, what type? Also what are the people like, from what I have been reading from this site there seem friendly and helpful. look forwards to your comments.

IMHO, I wouldn't move to pitsmoor. There is a lot of violent crime reported in the area as people have mentioned, not to mention the amount of drugs that occupy the estate. It is VERY well known to be the roughest estate in sheffield and on a par with Moss-side in Manchester and no doubt some nasty places in London too.

For the kiddies sake I would get back on to the council and request a more 'friendly' estate to move to. You could try Lowedges and Jordanthorpe. They are both close to the Derbyshire border and close to green areas. They have many council properties on both estates and are generally known to be a safer place for children to grow up than pitsmoor.

I still have family that live in pitsmoor so I know what the area can be like. I have no doubt that there are friendly people that live there, but it still has the reputation of what it is today. I'd think about it first.

Hi

thanks for that info, i am not going thorough the council. it actual a council exchange with someone. I thought it was to good to be true, the house sounds loveley, it not on a estate, but i don't suppose that matters. I will give it sum serious thought. what are the good place to live?

Like I say... check out Lowedges or Jordanthorpe... very close to the peak district.

Apply to the Council direct. Or to a housing association.

North British House Association or

Northern Housing Association are good places to start.

I would try the council first tho!

Thanks you be a great help

Brunswick Road you say.

Let me put it this way if you had a crimeomitre for addresses in Pitsmoor then Brunswick Rd is top of the scale.

Avoid it.

Also there are no Victorian houses on there its full of run down massanettes, although a few of the massanettes have been converted into houses which are a couple of hundred yards from some recennt shootings, and fatal ones at that.

Well your looking for greenery for the kids then your on to a looser there.

Dabouncer mentioned two other area,s but the crime rate is pretty high there two but a big improvement on Pitsmoor.

The North West And South East of Sheffield are also close to greenbelt areas and have decent council housing. try Oughtabridge or Stocksbridge,

Longley Park and Wisewood,all decent areas to exchange to and yes not without crime but its impossible to get anywhere without crime these days.

try advertizing on this site or visit www.findit.co.uk and they have a national classified section soley for council house exchanges.

Hi Cycleracer

sounds pretty scarery, I think I will stay when I am for now. Thanks for all the help. All the best.

Another satisfied customer. In terms of good advice given.

Just to say that I live in Lowedges and would recommend there too. Forget the exchange with the people in Pitsmoor - no-one actually wants to live there!! It is fairly easy to get a maisonette/house in Lowedges/Jordanthorpe - and I would recommend Woodseats/Meadowhead schools for your children.

Pitsmoor has a very bad name, although I haven't been in that area for some years, according to the Sheffield Star there is a lot of drug related crime leading to murder.

My advice to you is to look for somewhere else in Sheffield to exchange your house in London, why not try Mosborough and Westfield or Frechville, Hackenthorpe, Birley, you would be better off living in one of those areas.