...Gammon trouble...

Guest Mod_Man

Hi all I need some help. I have a large pack of uncooked gammon which I have frozen. My problem is that I will have to defrost the lot just to get the one piece. Can i re-freeze the other gammon steaks?

Please help, I'm getting hungry.:thumbsup:

I wouldn't, I think you're only supposed to freeze/thaw raw meat once.

You can cook it then re-freeze it.

Although, having just had a quick google, you can refreeze it IF you thaw it out in the fridge (ie. you never let it get to room temperature or warmer)

I still wouldn't risk it.

Hi all I need some help. I have a large pack of uncooked gammon which I have frozen. My problem is that I will have to defrost the lot just to get the one piece. Can i re-freeze the other gammon steaks?

Please help, I'm getting hungry.:thumbsup:

You could, if you like botulism. NEVER refreeze meat.

Just try slipping something like a palette knife between the slices whilst they're still frozen solid - you may be able to lever them apart.

But don't refreeze - really bad move.

Re-freezing any meat is potentially a bit dangerous.

It's all to do with the multiplication of bacteria which become active once a food item is defrosted (they're dormant while in the freezer)

When a food item is re-froze with the increased levels of bacteria, these bacteria again lay dormant until such time as the said food item is defrosted yet again. The process then starts once more, and umm, you do the maths re: bacteria levels.

:gag:

Simple solution to the problem - ask a mate over for dinner :)

As everyone else has said - i wouldn't re-freeze.

what about getting a nice sharp meat cleaver and having a pop at it while frozen!!! :D

Guest Mod_Man

Thanks all. I knew it really but just wanted to check with you lovely lot. Looks like its the palette knife and cold hands.:thumbsup:

Guest Mod_Man

Thread can be closed now if you wish mods. Unless other people have Gammon related issues.

Yes a trick is if you know you are only ever going to want one at time. Seperate into food bags then freeze.

Pineapple or fried egg?

Pineapple or fried egg?

An excellent alternative to Trick or Treat. Many's the time young kids have come to my door with a pineapple in one hand and a fried egg in the other.