Advice on Council Housing

I am currently waiting to see if I can be rehoused on the grounds of homeslessness and wanted to know how this thing works,

I know how it works in Barnsley I am just concerned cos my lad is settled at a school and I don't really want that upsetting with everything else. Some people have mentioned I will just get the first thing available and have no choice in the matter and someone else mentioned the bidding thing.

I really do have some serious reasons for wanting to keep my lad where he is I just not sure how it all works...

any help advice tips really welcomed....

Moon

My advice is to go and see your doctor and ask them to write you a letter supporting your housing application for the area that would keep your son at school. A letter from the headmaster at the school should also help

Thanks for your advice Alienmaria will contact me docs soon.

this could well and truly turn into a rant as I am still waiting for some daft *insert expletive here* to sort out whether I am officially homeless or not.

I mean...just how difficult is it? I appreciate Sheffield is a city and such has bigger problems...but in Barnsley I would have had a flat now not still living on my friends generosity!

Because the homeless section seem incapable of pressing the right button I won't know if I had any chance of getting the houses I bid for last week....

Moon Maiden

If you haven't already you should try the housing associations,

they tend to be a bit more symathetic to peoples needs

the council have a rehousing booklet, you can get it from any area office and in there near the back is a list of housing associations ,if you phone them they will send you an application form where you will be able to tell them about your circumstances.

The council are very slow and unsympathetic...a waste of time really. The housing asssociations are worth a try.

thanks...I was hoping to get something done today but I reckon that is a no no. I got an appointment tomorrow with some homeless section..probably need to see if we stil homeless or not.

Tried another friends suggestion of contactin social services for help in keeping us in the area but they just referred me back onto Howden house...another complete waste of time. Ya spend you time as parents fearing social services and when you ask for help they fob you off.

Moon Maiden

currently at end of tether

good luck for tommorow

social services are part of the council so they will not help

whatever happens.... always appeal the decision

If u get the Ad-mag (out wed/thur) or

-Sheffield Telegraph (Fri)- there' s a lists of all property avail for this "Bidding" scheme to bid for a council/ housing assoc house.

You'll have to go into main council place (Howden House) Sheffield center & register though.

Give u a ref no- to quote when making bids.- N tell u how many housing points u got.

(They send ref no in post within bout 1wk)

I was registerd homeless and been in same situation (with havin my daughter with me) & found it's the quickest & definately best way to get a good house in a good area.

I was on council waiting list aswell as bidding -and got offered x2 house's the same week!

I was on waiting list registered homeless for nearly 2yr!

The house they offered on wait list was in real Bad area & real dump!

-not mentioning where it was!

(You do have 2take 1st offer if u waiting list + homeless- yes!

I was real lucky!

The bid -up untill me moving in took 3mth!

House I bid for (In Beighton) was loads better than the house council offered for being on waiting list.

Council don't seem to care 2 much If u got kid's either.

You should ave nuff points to make a bid 4 a decent pad in Hillsborough is you registered homeless.

Good luck!!

Jessinka

xxx

Hi Jessinka

glad to hear you got sorted love.

I spoke to housing advice today and they tell me like ALien maria to seek advice before I turn down a 'final offer' by the council because you can appeal if you believe it not suitable.

I crreuntly armed with various people, reports and evidence to support my son staying in HIllsborough area. My problem isn't winning a bid, it is waiting for a house to become availabel in the areas I want, because they so popular.

Been told today that there is a shortage of 3 bed houses in Sheffield as a whole not just Hillsborough which compunds my problem really.

Thank you for letting me know how you got on tho, it is reassuring to know someone got somewhere.

Moon