Anyone know any cool places to visit in Europe?

I did the Inter Rail when I was 20.....most memorable places were Venice (do not miss!), Pisa (there's a handy camp site there), Athens (youth hostels), Budapest, Salzburg (home of Mozart), Lake Lucern in the foothills of the Alps = very pretty.

I lived near Prague for a year so would highly recommend it.

You'll end up in Paris, all inter railers end up in Paris.

Oh, and I think in Munich I slept with loads of other backpackers under a wooden structure in the open air.....can't remember much more about that.

Don't bother with Luxembourg - dull as ditchwater. Avoid Scicily if you're blonde and female.

Try a village called Arenas in the northern part of Spain, its at the foot of the mountains in the Picos national park. When youve done all the big places try this ,the views are amazing!

Dragon

Originally posted by Classic Rock

You'll end up in Paris, all inter railers end up in Paris.

Haha, We tried our hardest to avoid it, but as all main lines go through Paris, we had no choice. Suppose it was nice to say we've been, but not planning on going back in a hurry.

we were also impressed with Munich. everyone seemed to be lovely. every time we pulled out a map, guaranteed some stranger would come up to us and help us. Doesn't happen a lot in British cities. Also the beer halls were something else. minimum size of beer is a litre. excellent!

For info: http://www.interrailnet.com

Firenze or 'Florence' (IT)

Strasbourg (FR) - architecturally identical to amsterdam, but in france

Calgiari in Sardegna, or 'Sardinia' (IT) - underrated but getting more popular

Kjoldingfjord (DK)

Geneva (SW) - sounds boring but surprisingly liberated culture.

that's my 5p-worth anyway...

Bergen

Oslo

Copenhagen

Helsinki

Reykjavik

Heidelberg

Rome

St. Petersburg

Luzern

Zürich

Would have to say Florence.

It's a manageable city on foot, and it is STUFFED with history and culture. I loved it!

Just take time there to get the best from it - you can easily spend a day in the Uffizi, more if you're a big 'culture vulture'.

Get lots of bottled water to carry with you as the street vendors and shops make a killing in the summer. Avoid in August as it closes down a little - many hotels go to a 'reduced level' of service as Italy goes on leave....:-)

Seriously, it's a great city. Even the Germans refused to destroy the bridges over the Arno when retreating in WW2, and the Allies avoided bombing old Florence. For better or worse, I believe that double entry book keeping and the modern 'free market' started with the markets and guilds of Florence in the 13th and 14th centuries.

Joe

For double entry book keeping alone I would have bombed the bridges over the Arno..

just kidding

Applecross for sheer get away from it all-ness with great food and whales, seals, porpoises, pine martens plus a handful of yorkshiremen and the odd submarine. Nice beach, good walking - excellent salmon and venison - and a campsite that lets you have fires.

nearest station appears to be plockton. (5 miles)

Other people have said Stockholm, which is a busy city - but take a trip out to the greater archipelago for some really tranquil islands.

Bornholm in the baltic sea is another calm stopping point with almost paranormally good weather.

Kiruna is within the artic circle, and although not huge cultural hotspot, is worth the visit for the midnight sun and the aurora (if you are lucky). (Although not at the same time)

A trip down the rhine to Koblenz is also highly recommended (especially if you are into castles)

Bouillon (home of Godfrey de B... for masonic/templar conspiracy theorists among you) Is an amazing mediaeval town nestling in the huge ardennes forest.

Liege is also worth a visit, although has been developed rather unsympathetically.

Krakow, in southern Poland. Stunning unspoilt medieval city. Most folk go to visit Auschwitz, which is hardly a cheery highlight to the hols. Bratislava and Prague are grreat too........

If all those aren't to your liking why not try the jewels of Europe? That's right, South Yorkshire, in particular Sheffield, and neighbouring Derbyshire.:D

Originally posted by Phanerothyme

Applecross for sheer get away from it all-ness with great food and whales, seals, porpoises, pine martens plus a handful of yorkshiremen and the odd submarine. Nice beach, good walking - excellent salmon and venison - and a campsite that lets you have fires.

nearest station appears to be plockton. (5 miles)

Great place, but even as the crow files it is further than 5 miles from Plockton to Applecross. A quick insepection of multimap suggests its more in the region of 30 miles by car (and that's going via the 'alpine route' - a drive you will never forget if you do it!)

Oh and I think there's a station in Strathcarron which is slightly closer.

Nomme