Roundabout at bottom of Ecclesall Road

they have those bleeding lines on Park Sq if anybody's not sure what you mean

I use this roundabout every morning, and I also use the middle lane to turn on to charter row (as the white line says). I have noticed people i work with also use this roundabout and they used to use the right hand lane but are now using the middle lane.

I must admit it is a little confusing. :loopy::)

Originally posted by owlsman

I use this roundabout every morning, and I also use the middle lane to turn on to charter row (as the white line says). I have noticed people i work with also use this roundabout and they used to use the right hand lane but are now using the middle lane.

I must admit it is a little confusing. :loopy::)

Good good, spread the word!

caprice, it's not the drivers who are wrong, it's the road markings as you head on to the roundabout.

Originally posted by Pook

caprice, it's not the drivers who are wrong, it's the road markings as you head on to the roundabout.

I know that!!! The signs are ridiculous, trust me I may aswell make up a bed on the central reservation cos I use that roundabout so much!

But if everyone told a friend who uses the roundabout...and they told another friend... well there'd be less potential collisions... :thumbsup:

aye fair enough!

I don't think the line 'It's the road markings that are wrong' will help you keep your no claims bonus as you drive into the side of someone!!

if you can prove that the markings onto the rounabout show a two lane exit, and the markings off it are a one lane exit I think you may have an argument.

Wouldn't it be better if people used the right hand lane for turning right and the middle lane for going straight on? It would only take a bit of black paint to sort it out...

Anyway what about the lanes at the end of Ecclesall Road. There are two lanes for turning right towards Bramall Lane and two lanes to receive you as you leave the roundabout - so far so logical. However, if you use the left of the two options as you approach the roundabout and follow the markings round, you end up in the right of the two exit lanes. Therefore anyone who is using the right lane to turn right (fancy that) gets cut up.

This would be the same if Moore St. towards town exit had two lanes rather than one. So we either need lanes like at Park Square that feed you out to the left as you follow them or maybe if the roundabout was only 2 lanes wide... You would have longer tailbacks as you approach the roundabout, but I suspect the traffic would move quicker as you wouldn't need such a big gap to get across the lanes safely.

Has anyone checked out the lane situation for the new section of the ring road? I think forumers should use their collective common sense to go through the design with a fine-tooth comb. It's on the SCC website if you've got a spare hour or two. :thumbsup:

Originally posted by NicholasB

Wouldn't it be better if people used the right hand lane for turning right and the middle lane for going straight on? It would only take a bit of black paint to sort it out...

Anyway what about the lanes at the end of Ecclesall Road. There are two lanes for turning right towards Bramall Lane and two lanes to receive you as you leave the roundabout - so far so logical. However, if you use the left of the two options as you approach the roundabout and follow the markings round, you end up in the right of the two exit lanes. Therefore anyone who is using the right lane to turn right (fancy that) gets cut up.

This would be the same if Moore St. towards town exit had two lanes rather than one. So we either need lanes like at Park Square that feed you out to the left as you follow them or maybe if the roundabout was only 2 lanes wide... You would have longer tailbacks as you approach the roundabout, but I suspect the traffic would move quicker as you wouldn't need such a big gap to get across the lanes safely.

Has anyone checked out the lane situation for the new section of the ring road? I think forumers should use their collective common sense to go through the design with a fine-tooth comb. It's on the SCC website if you've got a spare hour or two. :thumbsup:

I've noticed that too, as well as my previous mention of drivers in a last ditch effort to barge into the right hand lane at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd. I think the council should take a good read of this thread and do something about it. I've had a few near misses on that roundabout (none my own fault, of course..).

Edit - in fact, I made a thread about it over 2 years ago here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1086

Originally posted by t020

I've noticed that too, as well as my previous mention of drivers in a last ditch effort to barge into the right hand lane at the bottom of Ecclesall Rd. I think the council should take a good read of this thread and do something about it. I've had a few near misses on that roundabout (none my own fault, of course..).

Edit - in fact, I made a thread about it over 2 years ago here: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1086

Why not ask the Mods to merge that thread with this one? It would make sense as it's the same subject matter.

Originally posted by Rich

Why not ask the Mods to merge that thread with this one? It would make sense as it's the same subject matter.

That's the moderators' call.