Roundabout at bottom of Ecclesall Road

Apply these rule and you will be OK

1. If you are in front, you have right of way. (this is the unwritten rule in competative car racing)

if all else fails

2. He who dares, wins.

Leaving the Classic Rock Bar and going down Ecclesall Rd to the Roundabout in my 4x4 (God, I hope this post isn't aimed at me), if I want to go right, the middle lane is signposted for going straight on or turning right and the right lane is for turning right.

Due to the SHEER VOLUME OF TRAFFIC (don't you just love that expression?), this roundabout can often be a free for all. I tend to pick the middle lane as once I've got past the queue on Moor Street - all trying to get past the narrowing of the road roadworks (another gripe - why narrow a busy dual carriageway causing congestion at an even busier roundabout?) then I'm safely in the left hand lane to go off safely at the next turning.

I find that if I pick the right lane to turn right then someone from the queue to get onto Moor street changes their mind, pops out and tries to go round, undertake or whatever.

Fortunately I've not seen any tell tale signs of accidents on the tarmac (little twinkly piles of glass) so it looks like the motorists do tend to find their way through the whole messed up system.

Originally posted by "t020"

at the roundabout at the bottom of ecclesall road, when wanting to turn right on to st marys gate, i get in the right hand lane early on. why though, do so many people intending to go right, queue up in the middle lane,

Probably because they know the highway code :lol: From the middle lane you can go straight on or turn right - I always use the middle lane in my white 4x4 :twisted:

Originally posted by "Party Boy"

at the roundabout at the bottom of ecclesall road, when wanting to turn right on to st marys gate, i get in the right hand lane early on. why though, do so many people intending to go right, queue up in the middle lane,

Probably because they know the highway code :lol: From the middle lane you can go straight on or turn right - I always use the middle lane in my white 4x4 :twisted:

Nice one! do you have your Sun Newspaper and 20 Bensons on the Dashboard in your white 4x4 :lol:

He's quite right though, if there's road markings that say you can turn right using the middle lane, why queue up for longer in the right hand lane?

How can there be a middle lane, when at the roundabout, there are 4 lanes?

I don't know because I've never driven in Sheffield, but I'm sure you get what I mean.

Originally posted by "steelblade"

Back to the roundabout at Ecclesall Road. I'm crap with road names so please be patient.

Imagine you are coming from the university, you go down the dual carriageway past the merc garage yes? Ok this is my absolute pet hate!

I get into the middle lane because I am going to come off the roundabout at safeway, I want to turn left into safeway. I HATE people who are in the right hand lane and then just as you're about to come off the roundabout, they just blatently cut you up. GET IN THE RIGHT LANE!!!

Bit of contradiction there SB? LOL :lol:

LET ME CLARIFY THIS A LITTLE. at the bottom of eccy road there are FOUR lanes, thus no middle lane. before you reach the end there are three. the far right lane turns into 2 lanes - 1 straight on & right, and 1 just right. the left hand lane turns into just left turn, and the middle lane (of the 3 before they turn to 4) becomes straight on or left. knowing i'll be turning right, i stay in the right hand lane early on, and opt for the straight on & right lane when the lane splits into 2. however, this lane is often barged into without indication by people from the old middle lane, which is now 2nd from left lane. this happens without fail, and frequently.

ps. if u STILL dont understand what i mean, below is an attempted lane lay out when u reach the bottom of eccy road near the roundabout:

|< |<^|^>| >|

3 lanes turn into 4. only the right hand lane from the 3 becomes 2 options for turning right, but middle lane drivers barge into the 2nd from left lane.

Originally posted by "nommedenet"

What about the drivers that go up the right hand lane (because it's moving faster) then do a 360 in order to go left.

Don't you mean 450 degree?

Hey.. everyone makes mistakes from time to time. :oops:

is it 450 degrees or 270 degrees?

if I am facing forward(12 o clock position) and do a turn to 9pm position in a clockwise direction this is 270 degree turn.

Anyway I dont think its a problem the drivers who do this.