Roundabout at bottom of Ecclesall Road

Personally, I find a lot of roundabouts to be a problem where lane/signpost markings are concerned.

Example 1: In Rotherham there is a roundabout at the end of Centenary Way. There are five roads onto it. As you approach from Tinsley direction you are confronted with three lanes. There are four possible exits for you to take off the roundabout - one at 90 degrees to your left (so that'll be the left hand lane you want:thumbsup: ), one at 90 degrees to your right (so that'll be the right hand lane you want :thumbsup: ), and two exits which go off almost directly opposite - one slightly left and one slightly right - none go straight across. Now if I want to take one of these roads, do I take the middle lane? NO!!!! The road which goes off slightly to the left can only be accessed from the left hand lane:loopy: Of course, we are all mind-readers aren't we? Do these road marking painters only know how to paint straight lines and right angles?

Example 2: At Meadowhall there is a roundabout where you join Sheffield Rd by the Sainsbury Garage. It is at the end of a dual carriageway. There is a left lane signed to turn left only by road and signpost markings. No problem there:thumbsup: . However, there are two other lanes telling you that they are for right turners. The problem is, if you take the centre lane to go right you end up in the right hand lane of Sheffield Rd heading to town......but if you take the right hand lane to turn right you end up doing a 'U' turn and heading back towards where you just came from:confused:

Of course, once you've made the mistake you learn and take the proper lane next time.:clap: Problem is - and you can bet your next lottery win - that the driver who has just cut you up / given you the finger / tooted their horn /punched you, is taking that roundabout for the first time and like you before them hasn't got a clue what bloody lane they are supposed to be in because the geezer with the paint can only do straight lines and right angles.:rant::loopy:

Originally posted by Guest

....The fun of too many cars being on the road.....it has caused impatience amongst people to the point where its "Everyone to their own"

No it isnt, it's shocking road markings.

Originally posted by Sidla

He's quite right though, if there's road markings that say you can turn right using the middle lane, why queue up for longer in the right hand lane?

because the right hand lane splits into 2 for right turners, the middle lane should allow right turners, as half of the people going down Ecclesall Rd/Moore St turn right.

Originally posted by djash1000

because the right hand lane splits into 2 for right turners, the middle lane should allow right turners, as half of the people going down Ecclesall Rd/Moore St turn right.

But it doesn't, so people shouldn't just take it upon themselves to barge their way into the right lane near the roundabout at the traffic lights, as is the case.

Originally posted by t020

But it doesn't, so people shouldn't just take it upon themselves to barge their way into the right lane near the roundabout at the traffic lights, as is the case.

I know they shouldnt but, it is badly marked, and badly arranged, so people will..

i agree, they shouldnt, it does my head in too, but if it was remarked, it would speed traffic up, lessen problems of road rage (on a small scale) and reduce near misses. Why do they have 2 lanes designated to going straight ahead, when there is now only one lane entry to it (charter row)??

Why do they have 2 lanes designated to going straight ahead, when there is now only one lane entry to it (charter row)??

They don't do they? From left to right I thought it was left only, straight ahead or left, right, right?

They don't do they? From left to right I thought it was left only, straight ahead or left, right, right?

nope.

at the four lanes

left left only

next left left and ahead

next one ahead and right

right right only

nope.

at the four lanes

left left only

next left left and ahead

next one ahead and right

right right only

No, the 2 right lanes of the 4 that stem from the right lane of the 3 are both right only now. They changed the markings on them about a year or so ago.

No, the 2 right lanes of the 4 that stem from the right lane of the 3 are both right only now. They changed the markings on them about a year or so ago.

oh ok, ive havent seen the road markings in the last year, cause there always covered by cars, or i'm watching for people trying to cut me up.

oh ok, ive havent seen the road markings in the last year, cause there always covered by cars, or i'm watching for people trying to cut me up.

Yes - it definitely requires soom good sign posts to indicate the lanes since it's nearly always bumper to bumper covering the road markings.

Also the lanes on the roundabout need to be more carefully thought out - as pointed out previously, if you follow the lanes on the roundabout, the left most of the 2 right lanes guides you into the right lane of 2 lanes on St Mary's gate. Suffice to say this means that the right most of the 2 right lanes doesn't actually lead to St Mary's gate at all. Seasoned Sheffield drivers realise this and adapt accordingly, but it's definitely dangerous for newcomers. Sheffield Council take note.

Has anybody else noticed the little arrow in the middle lane (for turning right on to charter row) has been removed and is now just an arrow for going straight on(hanover way)??

I only noticed this the other day, i dont know when it was changed.

So now we have to use the right hand lane to go on to charter row? :confused::loopy: