PW Botha,gone but not forgotten.

Not so sure, BG. I think single 'a' is an anglicised version but double 'a' is used in both cases in the language concerned. Gypsy Hack will no doubt know.

Afrikaner is much the more common usage, regardless of language. The largely Afrikaans speaking AWB (kind of a Boer BNP, but more honest with their racism) use the single 'a' spelling. This is probably because the term Afrikaner is derived from the Boer/Dutch/German (I think) word for Africa (as in "van Sud Afrika"). Afrikaans is merely the language derived from that. Afrikaaner is used sometimes to denote a white South African from the Afrikaner ethnic group, as opposed to someone from South Africa who speaks Afrikaans as a first language. Although my bohemian attitude to the English language means I'd feel a bit hypocritical damning such usage as incorrect, I think the term Afrikaaner to describe the naturalised, white, Boer, Afrikaans-speaking population is generally used erroneously.

Show some respect for the dead you horrible people.:mad:

people earn respect roy. he has zero from me. i'm glad he's dead :clap:.

'Whatever the sentence Your Worship sees fit to impose upon me for the crime for which I have been convicted before this court may it rest assured that when my sentence has been completed, I will still be moved as men are always moved, by their conscience. I will still be moved by my dislike of the race discrimination against my people. When I come out from serving my sentence, I will take up again, as best I can, the struggle for the removal of those injustices until they are finally abolished.' Mandela

Mr Botha, as with many of his white contemporaries, believed he could stop that long road to freedom...he was of course wrong.

With some degree of credit, Botha, late in his career saw that the political tide had changed...... irreversibly. The need for democracy proved irresistable and the state apparatus of apartheid lay bankrupt....ideologically, morally, politically and economically. This realisation by Botha and the majority in his own white nationalist party led to direct talks with an imprisoned Nelson Mandela, to Botha's own political resignation and the subsequent dismantling of apartheid.

History will not forget PW Botha but he will be remembered chiefly as a man who led a minority against a majority....a minority who believed they could prevent a tide reaching shore...a modern Canute myth.

It is onwards and upwards now for South Africa.:thumbsup:

'Whatever the sentence Your Worship sees fit to impose upon me for the crime for which I have been convicted before this court may it rest assured that when my sentence has been completed, I will still be moved as men are always moved, by their conscience. I will still be moved by my dislike of the race discrimination against my people. When I come out from serving my sentence, I will take up again, as best I can, the struggle for the removal of those injustices until they are finally abolished.' Mandela

Mr Botha, as with many of his white contemporaries, believed he could stop that long road to freedom...he was of course wrong.

With some degree of credit, Botha, late in his career saw that the political tide had changed...... irreversibly. The need for democracy proved irresistable and the state apparatus of apartheid lay bankrupt....ideologically, morally, politically and economically. This realisation by Botha and the majority in his own white nationalist party led to direct talks with an imprisoned Nelson Mandela, to Botha's own political resignation and the subsequent dismantling of apartheid.

History will not forget PW Botha but he will be remembered chiefly as a man who led a minority against a majority....a minority who believed they could prevent a tide reaching shore...a modern Canute myth.

It is onwards and upwards now for South Africa.:thumbsup:

On wards and upwards,you gotta be joking the country is going down hill fast,give it 10 yrs and it will be like Rhodesia,a basket case.

On wards and upwards,you gotta be joking the country is going down hill fast,give it 10 yrs and it will be like Rhodesia,a basket case.

Your grief for PW Botha seems to have evaporated rather quickly Roy....how touching to read:hihi:

Your grief for PW Botha seems to have evaporated rather quickly Roy....how touching to read:hihi:

Not at all after all the ANC are in charge now, have been for yrs and made a mess .:thumbsup:

Nothing to add on PW Botha? :hihi:

Very sorry to see a good man pass from us

:hihi: Your attempt at humour is almost amusing if it wasn't so dire! :rolleyes:

:hihi: Your attempt at humour is almost amusing if it wasn't so dire! :rolleyes:

Hello henrietta glad your enjoying the debate.:thumbsup: Nice name by the way.:)

Perhaps Roy could enlighten us on a point I read in a recent PW Botha biography (this is YOUR thread Roy)...is it true that Botha was an admirer of Adolf Hitler and a Nazi sympathiser during WW2?

Perhaps Roy could enlighten us on a point I read in a recent PW Botha biography (this is YOUR thread Roy)...is it true that Botha was an admirer of Adolf Hitler and a Nazi sympathiser during WW2?

Can you show me the link? If its true then I have to differ with him.

Can you show me the link? If its true then I have to differ with him.

Its a question Roy not a statement...was Botha a Nazi sympathiser and liked the cut of Hitlers jacket?

Sorry to edit but how can you differ from the truth? I know...the truth is no defence right :hihi: Sleep tight Roy:thumbsup: