Magnet pub in Southey

kev malkin, an old pal of mine,sadly died of a heart attack aged just 29.

The Magnet used to be a good pub, when I was a kid there used to be a tossing ring on a sunday and the spivs would pay some of the young lads to look out for the coppers and if one was around everyone would scarper like double quick.It was a pub for older people no disrespect to anyone where the young ones wernt bawlin and shouting,thats when Ted Catlin had it, he used to play for Wednesday.He retired and the looneys took over and the police were always too busy,ugh. whats new.When we were young Southey club would run a trip to Cleethorpes for the day,the only holiday most of us got .apple orange bag of crisps bottle of pop great we all wanted a pee after five miles and a ticket for fish and chips when we got there.We were supposed to queue up yerv never seen as many feights in yer life. My mother was always a steward so ide swop tickets so I wernt on her coach its marvelleous I always came home with more bruises than I went with!!The coaches lined up from the Magnet right down to the White horse, not anymore,have we all gone mad in this world today full of PC.

The Magnet used to be a good pub, when I was a kid there used to be a tossing ring on a sunday and the spivs would pay some of the young lads to look out for the coppers and if one was around everyone would scarper like double quick.It was a pub for older people no disrespect to anyone where the young ones wernt bawlin and shouting,thats when Ted Catlin had it, he used to play for Wednesday.He retired and the looneys took over and the police were always too busy,ugh. whats new.When we were young Southey club would run a trip to Cleethorpes for the day,the only holiday most of us got .apple orange bag of crisps bottle of pop great we all wanted a pee after five miles and a ticket for fish and chips when we got there.We were supposed to queue up yerv never seen as many feights in yer life. My mother was always a steward so ide swop tickets so I wernt on her coach its marvelleous I always came home with more bruises than I went with!!The coaches lined up from the Magnet right down to the White horse, not anymore,have we all gone mad in this world today full of PC.

Nice memories, i use to go on those trips to Cleethorpes with my Dad, i remeber getting an orange and a bag of crisps on the coach, you could tell the posh kids, they had socks on, only thing we all had in common was a snotty nose :hihi:

popins

thart rieght theyr lass/lad an aar still carnt tork reight!

dave"jack" frost, 1 night,him & the recently deceased frank vaughn(yes, really) were pulled over by the cops,asked their names...both being arrested when they gave em,released without charge about 2am when it was established they were telling the truth!!!

Yes this is a true story! And Jack was also known to have bitten a police dog when he was arrested I think at the Penthouse! Sad to hear that Frank has also died so young, we went to watch Wednesday all over the country together in the early 80's and knocked around getting drunk at the Magnet, Wap and Rebels. Lost touch over the years as you do.

RIP Frank, we had some great times! xxx

Edited by stonecircle

Other names from Jack's era, Mo n Nelly, Russ, Phil Picroft (deceased) Frank, Tony, Wiggy, Baz n Julie, Jinx ( with top hat) and Cowboy to name but a few..... happy days:hihi:

+ Max, Joe, Mick (Riley) Jeff, Carole

what about jack kemp (fantastic voice) john cassinneli, vic hargreaves.

Yes this is a true story! And Jack was also known to have bitten a police dog when he was arrested I think at the Penthouse! Sad to hear that Frank has also died so young, we went to watch Wednesday all over the country together in the early 80's and knocked around getting drunk at the Magnet, Wap and Rebels. Lost touch over the years as you do.

RIP Frank, we had some great times! xxx

Bit a police dog :hihi:

is your first name LOL by any chance, my dad always told me as a lad about his mate Lol who almost died in a lime pit up parson cross

No my name is Doug Kay my brother Geoff was a bit of a scroundral, he and his mates who were about 12 Y.O. would bully me into going to a newsagents and tell them I had put money in the fag machine and nothing came out. The girl always went out to the machine and of course no coin was stuck but she gave me a packet of 5 woodbines and a box of matches and I got the penny change.

Does anyone remember the Brown shirts marching around the terminus.

When I lived on Southey Hall Rd, we would go round the back of the pub which dropped quite a few feet over a wall from rd level (if memory serves correctly) and pinch some of the empties to take back for the deposit. Very naughty for those days.

God, this place was like a second home to my dad too! Derek Malkin, anyone know him?
hi skala did ya dad live on southey hill