Magnet pub in Southey

I always thought it was "SharrabanG' :confused:

It probably is, Ive never seen it spelled out, I only ever heared it spoken, usually by drunk adults when I was a kid.

It probably is, Ive never seen it spelled out, I only ever heared it spoken, usually by drunk adults when I was a kid.

Yes, I do think i'm right, it's Sharrabang, hic!

My dads family lived on Southey Green Road, throughout childhood (Ted, my father, was born 1928) his brother Albert Jenkinson lived there most of his life and never married or left home until he was in his 80's. He had to move out due to a burglary (whilst he was asleep), which was terrible and forced him to move to a flat.

Ted and Alberts brother Frank Jenkinson used to frequent the Magnet and we once joined him for a pint on Boxing Day, just before they pulled it down. It was full of travellers and we got some looks that day.:hihi: sadly both Frank and Albert are no longer with us.

I am going to show the pics to my dad as I am sure he will know someone on them.

My dads family lived on Southey Green Road, throughout childhood (Ted, my father, was born 1928) his brother Albert Jenkinson lived there most of his life and never married or left home until he was in his 80's. He had to move out due to a burglary (whilst he was asleep), which was terrible and forced him to move to a flat.

Ted and Alberts brother Frank Jenkinson used to frequent the Magnet and we once joined him for a pint on Boxing Day, just before they pulled it down. It was full of travellers and we got some looks that day.:hihi: sadly both Frank and Albert are no longer with us.

I am going to show the pics to my dad as I am sure he will know someone on them.

Looking forward to seing photos of your Dad Gemima.

Poppins the bloke just left of me has no hat on and has black hair. He was a booky in those days. HANSON was a runner for him in 1950.

Yes, I do think i'm right, it's Sharrabang, hic!

Think the correct spelling is 'charabanc' Don't ask me what it means though

Think the correct spelling is 'charabanc' Don't ask me what it means though

jmdee, I just Goggled sharrabang :) came up with >Coach Bus.

Syd, your photo buckets not working this time, i'll try again later, I should have printed out the photo yesterday.

Just took the trouble to look it up. The word 'charabanc' is an English name given to a bus, commonly open topped in the 1920's. The word itself comes from the French, 'char' meaning coach, or buggy, and the word 'banc' meaning rows of seats. Guess it depends ont which dictionary one looks at.

Just took the trouble to look it up. The word 'charabanc' is an English name given to a bus, commonly open topped in the 1920's. The word itself comes from the French, 'char' meaning coach, or buggy, and the word 'banc' meaning rows of seats. Guess it depends ont which dictionary one looks at.

I like your explanation better jmdee, sounds posher :)

Poppins the bloke just left of me has no hat on and has black hair. He was a booky in those days. HANSON was a runner for him in 1950.

No thats not my Dad sydney, he was dead good looking, ladies man :roll: my Dad use to emcee at some of the dance halls too.

Any Body Remember Jipsy Jess The Biker And His Missis Pat

God, this place was like a second home to my dad too! Derek Malkin, anyone know him?

was kevin related to you