Magnet pub in Southey

there was nowt wrong wiv magnet was a good place an it wasnt as bad as some pubs ..all pubs had reps ..this was no diff ..loved it lol

I remember in the early 80s a bikers funeral starting off from the magnet. A work mate of mine went to it and all the bikes went along moonshine lane where i worked.

Beautiful.

We were in the procession for Jack, a sad loss to us all. At the funeral the police went round all the bikes and nicked the owners for the most ridiculous reasons, there was in excess of 500 bikers.

There has recently been a reunion of the Magnet lads and will be another in about 6 months.

I have just been reading all the comments on the magnet, and i have to say it brought back great memories. I use to work behind the bar in the early 80's, some of the names of the customers mentioned had me laughing. The night the T.V was stolen was so funny, but there was no mention of the the night a fella went behind the bar and tryed to steal the till. The barman (Patrick) stopped the fella but got his arm broken. Someone mentioned Jack Frost, he always use to play the pinball machine and have his pet snake around his neck. One great charector who has not had a mention was the legendary Annie Fogg, what a great lady. She was my favourite customer and had me laughing all evening, she was'nt shy at telling people what she thought of them.

Other names from Jack's era, Mo n Nelly, Russ, Phil Picroft (deceased) Frank, Tony, Wiggy, Baz n Julie, Jinx ( with top hat) and Cowboy to name but a few..... happy days:hihi:

I remember sitting on Magnet wall, mid summer with a nice pint of lager. The car-park used to be full in the summer all sat on the wall, getting, well, ******.

Good times.

I remember sitting on Magnet wall, mid summer with a nice pint of lager. The car-park used to be full in the summer all sat on the wall, getting, well, ******.

Good times.

I only have two photos of my Dad now, one in hospital and the other sitting on the Magnet wall with a pint around 1950s.

I've got two photos taken outide the Magnet. It's a coach trip for Sheffield Wednsday. Would have been 1950. I'm in it and I'm about 9. There's a lot of the locals in it and maybe your father but I cant put the photos on the Forum. Any body got any ideas? JACK SYDNEY

I've got two photos taken outide the Magnet. It's a coach trip for Sheffield Wednsday. Would have been 1950. I'm in it and I'm about 9. There's a lot of the locals in it and maybe your father but I cant put the photos on the Forum. Any body got any ideas? JACK SYDNEY

My Dad was a bookmaker back then, had us picking up his bets on our bikes and taking them home before the police could catch him (again), he didn't want "his men" to get caught, so he used us kids :roll:

Here 's two of the pics from 1950 coach trip for Sheffield Wednesday football match. I am there with many of the locals who visited the Magnet pub. Thanks to "skippy" for showing me how to do the photos. I am sat at the feet of a bookie. Maybe its your dad. My dad and uncles and grandad are also in the photos. hope it brings back good memories JACK SYDNEY

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach2.jpg

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach1.jpg

It was a reyt dive!!

Walk through the door and come out through the window! :hihi:

Here 's two of the pics from 1950 coach trip for Sheffield Wednesday football match. I am there with many of the locals who visited the Magnet pub. Thanks to "skippy" for showing me how to do the photos. I am sat at the feet of a bookie. Maybe its your dad. My dad and uncles and grandad are also in the photos. hope it brings back good memories JACK SYDNEY

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach2.jpg

http://s273.photobucket.com/albums/jj236/sydneyozz/?action=view&current=MagnetCoach1.jpg

Great photos sydney, you must be that little tot with blonde hair, cute! no my Dad would never leave the Magnet long enought to go on any of those trips... waste of good drinking time, he would stick us on the coaches and take off......also my Dad wouldn't be seen dead in a "cap", he was too much in love with his slicked back hair :roll:

Those pics reminded me of a word I havent heared or used in decades.

"Sharrabank" or "Sharra" As in `Quick, get on the sharra, its leaving!`

I bet its spelled wrongly.

Those pics reminded me of a word I havent heared or used in decades.

"Sharrabank" or "Sharra" As in `Quick, get on the sharra, its leaving!`

I bet its spelled wrongly.

I always thought it was "SharrabanG' :confused: