Magnet pub in Southey

Doesn't anyone remember the strippers on Sunday dinners ?? :gag: or shall we keep them quiet,, now I know where they got the lyrics from when they sang "who let the dogs out"

Never knew what a caesarean scar looked like till then :hihi:

Lots of locals bent as nine bob notes when I boozed there.

P.S Anyone want to buy a fag machine.... arf arf

I have just been reading all the comments on the magnet, and i have to say it brought back great memories. I use to work behind the bar in the early 80's, some of the names of the customers mentioned had me laughing. The night the T.V was stolen was so funny, but there was no mention of the the night a fella went behind the bar and tryed to steal the till. The barman (Patrick) stopped the fella but got his arm broken. Someone mentioned Jack Frost, he always use to play the pinball machine and have his pet snake around his neck. One great charector who has not had a mention was the legendary Annie Fogg, what a great lady. She was my favourite customer and had me laughing all evening, she was'nt shy at telling people what she thought of them.

I used to play around there when I was a lad in the 1930s. A fair used the ground behind it every year where I once found 3 tortoises in a tyre outside a caravan which I promply took home. I gave two away and each one was painted a different colour so we could recognise them while they were racing.

When we needed a few pennies we would climb the wall of the Magnet or the WMC and borrow some bottles which the landlord would pay us for by returning them. Apart from that we were in a pain in the neck, nearly drowned in a lime pit when they were building Parsons Cross.

What year exactly was it pulled down Jabbers, do you know?.I didnt think it was there in the 80 s.But I maybe wrong.

they shut it for the last time in 93,pulling it down a few years later i believe,if they had catered for local needs rather than trying to pull in punters from different areas,maybe it would still be there.

God, this place was like a second home to my dad too! Derek Malkin, anyone know him?

malkin...any relation to the late,great kev malkin????

i think that was a guy called Jack frost (frosty)

dave"jack" frost, 1 night,him & the recently deceased frank vaughn(yes, really) were pulled over by the cops,asked their names...both being arrested when they gave em,released without charge about 2am when it was established they were telling the truth!!!

I have just been reading all the comments on the magnet, and i have to say it brought back great memories. I use to work behind the bar in the early 80's, some of the names of the customers mentioned had me laughing. The night the T.V was stolen was so funny, but there was no mention of the the night a fella went behind the bar and tryed to steal the till. The barman (Patrick) stopped the fella but got his arm broken. Someone mentioned Jack Frost, he always use to play the pinball machine and have his pet snake around his neck. One great charector who has not had a mention was the legendary Annie Fogg, what a great lady. She was my favourite customer and had me laughing all evening, she was'nt shy at telling people what she thought of them.

patrick taylor...still looks the same. bomber used to greet him with the cry"ugly taylor".... bomber was the werewolfs younger,uglier,less talented brother!!! well...thats what reg taylor told me!!!!

The only decent photo I have left of my Dad is of him sitting outside the Magnet

i remember once went to play an individual darts match

match put of someody had stolen the dart board

i remember someone completly emptying the cellar of all the booze:suspect:

I belive the land was sold at auction in September so maybe something will happen soon (http://www.markjenkinson.co.uk)

I remember the pub from being little, I still remember the area just left of the chip shop, an right of the Magnet, It looked like such a big drop an thought all sorts of treasure must be down there.

I did hear that a mine dropped by parachute by the Germans during the Blitz was hanging from a tree outside some cottages opposite the Magnet.