Magnet pub in Southey

Too right skippy and safe, think of a ten year old girl fetching beer nowadays?

How lucky were we?

mangnet was pulled down around 1992 i think. the story about the gang running off with the bandit is true.my dad was there that night.some close friends of my family used to practically live in there and are very well known in this area for obvious reasons and most of the stories i know of the magnet come from them.thats probably cos half the mischief was caused by them!!!!!!! not the bad stuff though.

Its not very often they just pull a pub down like that. I heard it was a drugs place, is that true.? Is the old Southey Green Working Mens club still across the road.? Maybe someone from Southey will know.

towards the end it did become a haven for drugs, main gang used to come from manchester untill the gang from pitsmoor found out, shotguns used nobody killed though.

after it closed most people started frequenting the southey social club, that was a good place at one time but alas how times change, on a saturday and sunday you had to be in early to get a seat nowadays you can sit anywhere, they have bouncers on a sunday night and if you fancy a smoke you can always nip upstairs to the back room, not a family place anymore, i'm afraid it's days are numbered just like the old magnet.

I remember in the early 80s a bikers funeral starting off from the magnet. A work mate of mine went to it and all the bikes went along moonshine lane where i worked.

Beautiful.

i think that was a guy called Jack frost (frosty)

Apparantly one night a gang walked in there and wheeled away the bandit in front of everyone and no one said or did nuffin......enuff said

i remeber that , they returned for the television as well , they did wait untill the racing had finished though

WAS IT YOU WHO TOOK THE TELLY???HEHEHEHE

FUNNY THING WAS THOUGH, THE BANDIT HAD BEEN EMPTIED ABOUT HALF AN HOUR BEFOR THEY TOOK IT.:hihi: :hihi: :hihi

EASTER BONNET PARADE THERE WAS CLASS.I REMEMBER WINNING A BOTTLE OF PANDA COLA AND A CADBURYS CREAME EGG FOR MY BONNET.

nah not me, working behind the bar at the time for a chap called big terry and i mean big, then for a chap called alan and his wife linda good days, a typical estate pub, bookies next door, i remember the bookies runner but cannot for the life of me remember his name oh thats it "beigy" i still see him from time to time not changed at all.

yep. paul baige.hes famous round here. why i dont know.i think it must be cos every bugger knows him for one reason or another.

either that or its because he's a wednesday nutter, i see him from time to time int club, he's married now and she certainly wears the trousers.

another character was and still is joe savory theres some good stories about that bloke, another ex magneteer

are you from s5? do you frequent the southey club? my dad and uncle used to spend a lot of time in there until recently. maybe you know them..............

I think the funniest story ever about the Magnet was when the Wednesday first team kit got stolen one day from the Wednesday ground. Made front page news in the Star. They found it in an upstairs room at the Magnet!